Aquarium Salt

sfromsf

Reaction score
When should aquarium salt be added to a freshwater tank? I know these are harmful to scaleless but I won't be adding these to my tank. Some fish require aquarium salt, or so I was told at the local fish store...

so what is the general concensus here? to add or not to add?

When should aquarium salt be added to a freshwater tank? I know these are harmful to scaleless but I won't be adding these to my tank. Some fish require aquarium salt, or so I was told at the local fish store...

What fish are we talking about to add salt with?. I'm thinking mollies but really they don't necessarily need it, many keep there's without with no problems whatsoever.

Brackish fish require salt. none of the rest do. "some fish require salt", ask him which ones. lol, he is trying to get yo to pay for his holiday spending money.

Thanks for hte FAQ link :)

I was looking to add a Bala shark once my tank is fully cycled. This is the fish I was told "required" salt, but that all species benefit from it. From the recent readings I've been doing it looks like I can stop using salts and the fish will do fine with the API water conditioner

Do you have you tank already? How big is it?
Bala sharks get big and do better in small shoals....3 or more, so you need a tank of at least 75 US gallons.....and imho...that's a bare minimum :unsure:

Lisa x

Do you have you tank already? How big is it?
Bala sharks get big and do better in small shoals....3 or more, so you need a tank of at least 75 US gallons.....and imho...that's a bare minimum :unsure:

Lisa x

40 Gallons is what I have today, I have three barbs in there now and its about 4 weeks into the cycle. Ammonia is at 0 ppm, Nitrite is still relatively high at .5 ppm.

I manage that by limiting feeding to once every other day and doing a 40-50% water change every other day as well.

Nitrate reading is at 20 ppm

Sounds like your having a little nitrite spike there....so the water changes are good :good: Keep an eye on your ammonia levels though! If they rise up it to a 50-70% change daily.

Back to the Bala sharks....Your tank is really to small to house them well.....and imo, the whole point of fish keeping is to house a fish in the best possible conditions and then watch it grow to it's full potential...just my opinion though :unsure:

Lisa x

Edit.....see all it takes is a little search on here.... ;) http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=123786

Bala sharks can reach 14 inches and need to be kept in groups of 3+. You would need a 75 gallon tank as a minimum to keep them, with a 5 foot tank being preferred.

Thanks Lisa. I'm glad I found this place, lots of good knowledge.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and doing water changes as needed.
I bought this 40 gallon tank used to get my feet wet, if you will. I Plan on "upgrading" to a 150 gallon tank and I'm building a custom stand that will tie into the walls at home.
I envision this being a 2 year project, so the bala's shoud have a good home when all is said and done.
The heater, filter and aerator are all oversized because I knew I would be upgrading in a few months.

Another none salt related question - At what point would you recommend adding a pleco (algea eater) to the tank?

Hi again.. I love the fact that you are taking notice of our advice :good: So hang on in there.....'cos you ain't going to like this bit at all :no: Pleae please please do not buy anymore fish until you have your up-grade tank in your house and it is cycled!!!! We all have good intentions sometimes....and then things go wrong!

I, to my shame have three clown loaches that need a grow out tank, I had one already and rescued two knowing that I will up-grade...only three weeks ago I had 5'X2'X2' in my hands....but the bluddy thing sprung a leak..... :-( I am now desperately searching for a similar size tank....but it has to be in my price range! My tank is massively over-filtered....but every night I look at my clowns and feel sad....they need a bigger tank! See what I'm getting at?

It sounds like you're doing a wicked job so far....so stick with what you've got....and get the Balas when you've got the tank :good:

Slowly and surely wins the race...or has the best fish!!!!! :D

Lisa x

Another none salt related question - At what point would you recommend adding a pleco (algea eater) to the tank?
Plecos are one of the first fish, many, people want to keep. however more experienced keeper, sometimes suggest, it should be one of the last. Firstly, the "common," (actually, there is no such thing as a "common". its a term used to cover, several "breeds" of plec) all of these can reach 12 inches. some 18 and one that will, kept well, reach 24 inches+. they are a filthy fish. requiring good filtration and, in truth, a mature tank. ok that's the technical bit, now reality, they aint algae eaters! they do eat it. but, in truth, they are an omnivore, requiring protein and veg matter. they are also known to get "grumpy" with age. getting territorial. a pleco that does eat algae is the BN, Ancistrus cirrhosus. its a fascinating, if not to say, odd, looking pleco. they grow to, around, 4 inches. given the chance, and a good keeper, they breed like heck. again as a, scale-less fish, i would suggest you wait till your tank is mature before adding one.

the Siamese Algae eater Crossocheilus siamensis, is also worth a look. take my advice and avoid the Chinese Algae eater Gyrinocheilus aymonieri. its a bad temped, and aggressive fish. that, eventually, looses its taste for algae, and goes after the slime coat of its tank mates

I should change the title of this thread to "help - my first tank"...

I won't be adding any new fish, when I do I will post here first so you guys can smack me if need be :)
I changed the water 36 hours ago. I did a test today and found ammonia at 0 ppm, nitrate at 5.0 ppm and nitrite at 0.25 ppm.

Is this normal for a tank midway through the cycle process? ammonia has been at 0 ppm for a couple of weeks now, nitrate has been as high as 20 ppm just a few days ago when I did the last water change and nitrite I kept at or below 0.5 ppm because I was told after ammonia that's the killer.
so the 36 hours ago nitrite had been at 0.5 ppm, its now at 0.25 ppm but nitrate is down... my mistake was not taking a reading immediately after the water change.. doh!

I did another test today and found ammonia at 0 ppm, nitrate at 5.0 ppm and nitrite at 0.25 ppm, no change from 24 hours ago.
Is a water change in order? It has now been 48 hours since my last water change...

With nitrites at 0.25 ppm, a water change should be done. You want to keep levels below 0.25 ppm and not be starting at that level.

Most reactions

Back