Aquarium Salt

LionessN3cubs

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay so Im curious about something.

At petco, they have little cups of aqaurium salt in almost EVERY tank...and the cups say on them "Petco recommends aquarium salt for every tank"

I have mollies, platys, and an apple snail. I know mollies usually need salt so I did go out and buy some but I haven't added it yet because Im not sure which salt opinion is right...pro or con?

Well I would assume they use it cause almost every batch of fish they get has a tank illness whether that be ich, fungus or any other common disease. Salt is recommmened during treatment of disease to help the fish heal. How it helps, I don't know the exact science so couldn't say, but I know its recommened. It def is not needed, but you are right about Mollies, some people have found it easier to keep them healthy in a mild salinty of brackish water..... ~1.004-1.015. There was a thread not too long ago about a guy in the marine section who had a molly in full seawater salinty and it was doing fine. Thats the cool things about mollies :fun:

So, to say again... its def not needed, but if start noticing your mollies getting sick, adding a slight amount maybe up to 1.005 shouldn't hurt anybody

Ox :good:

The whole salt thing is very much an old methods vs new methods debate Lioness.

The only fish which need salt in their water are true brackish or saltwater fish, there are other fish which can do better with it in, other fish where it makes no positive difference and others still where it will kill them.

So we’ll leave aside the brackish and saltwater fish as this isn’t really what the discussion is about.

You get fish like mollies which are found all over the world, some of them in fresh water some in brackish, the ones we get in shops today are usually a bit of a hybrid of all the different sorts. They’ve all been so massively cross bred to get the colour strains we get today that you can’t differentiate where most of them come from. It’s widely proclaimed that mollies need salty water, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to back this up, plenty of fish keepers (myself included) have had problems keeping mollies in fresh water, they just get recurring diseases, pop eye and fin rot being some of the common ones. Plenty of people will be able to tell you that when they moved the fish into brackish conditions these diseases stopped. So it’s natural that the conclusion drawn is that they do need salt, it is a sensible practical way to avoid these things. However my understanding is that when sciency people have actually investigated this they have found that it’s not the salt itself that stops these things, it’s just what the salt does to the water i.e. makes it hard and alkaline. So while it seems that mollies do not necessarily need the salt, they do benefit from its effects. The apple snails will be the same, they actually need the alkaline water because it contains more calcium which helps keep the shells healthy……. So again don’t need salt, but benefit from the effects of it.

Now the other side to the story is salt as a magical cure all, back in the old days of fish keeping water changes were few and far between, as you can imagine nitrates were sky high in tanks that never got changed, what salt actually does is reduces the toxicity of nitrate to fish. So in these older tanks diseases caused by poor water, in particular by high nitrate were quite common. Adding salt helped to reduce the effects of the nitrates and as such the fish seemed to get better. Salt then got a reputation as being a magic cure all basically, now we know a bit more about aquariums this isn’t the case and it isn’t needed as a standard in most tanks.

The slight tangent of an angle though is that salt can actually cure some diseases particularly parasitic type things, it’s a fairly grim way of treating things but can work. What you do is mix up some saltwater as if you were preparing it for a marine/brackish tank, so using proper marine salt, and give the infected fish a short bath in it. Most fish will survive in the wrong salinity for a short time but not long. What it does is the parasite/bacteria can’t live in salt water, because its lifecycle is a lot shorter it is affected much more quickly so it dies off before the fish is severely affected. As you can imagine it’s easy to get wrong.

depending of the degree of salinity, salt can kill your snail . In the past, I've used it for that purpose.

<first part of MW's write-up on salt>
Now the other side to the story is salt as a magical cure all, back in the old days of fish keeping water changes were few and far between, as you can imagine nitrates were sky high in tanks that never got changed, what salt actually does is reduces the toxicity of nitrate to fish. So in these older tanks diseases caused by poor water, in particular by high nitrate were quite common. Adding salt helped to reduce the effects of the nitrates and as such the fish seemed to get better. Salt then got a reputation as being a magic cure all basically, now we know a bit more about aquariums this isn’t the case and it isn’t needed as a standard in most tanks.

<med part of MW's write-up on salt>
Really nicely written summary article on salt MW~!! Thanks so much!

As one of those who kept fish in the "old days" I can say that MW's paragraph I've quoted above is really on the mark. And so there is an interesting fall-out from it. The "Salt as Magical Cure" thing really did come from what fishkeepers of old thought was a legitimate reason (they saw the bad effects of nitrate being helped) and there were the legit diseases (parasites etc.) which one could really sometimes take care of with salt.... And so the LFS retailers really got settled in to peddling salt. From a retail standpoint, salt, I believe, turned out to be great because it was dirt cheap to produce but could be retailed at a much higher price, so there was profit there for everyone, manufacturer, transport and retail and it fell into the "steady re-use" category if the retailer could convince the new customers of that. Pushing salt is very, very ingrained in the LFS retail business.

The irony is just what MW says up there -- the actual need of salt by various fish varies all over the place with many, many freshwater fish really only being harmed by it (as outlined in one of the scientific threads I've read somewhere on TFF.) My own take is that salt is unneeded, even dangerous, in the healthy freshwater tank where water changes and other maintenance is being done properly. In the specialty brackish tanks, for fish like wild mollies, who may have been used to living on the margins of oceans and moving in and out of salt and fresh, there is a place for measuring and maintaining a certain level of salt. And finally, salt has a place on the fish-med shelf with the other supplies one keeps, as MW has shown.

~~waterdrop~~

so the general consensus is that unless my mollies start getting sick and I want to TRY salt as a cure...I should let well enough alone right now since they all seem to be fine in there and I definately dont have a nitrate problem. Okies :)

so the general consensus is that unless my mollies start getting sick and I want to TRY salt as a cure...I should let well enough alone right now since they all seem to be fine in there and I definately dont have a nitrate problem. Okies :)

yeah thats a good practical decision :nod:

Most reactions

Back