Aquarium Had Dirt In It - Safe For Fish?

DogFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon that housed mice briefly, with dirt as their bedding. I know reptile aquariums shouldn't be used for fish, but am I correct in assuming that this aquarium should be ok to be as an aquarium again? I figured on scrubbing it well with baking soda. It has never had soap of any kind in it.

Hose it out good to remove any dirt residue, and clean with a bleach/water solution to get rid of any unwanted bacteria. I would worry more about the bacteria than the dirt, bodies of water all over the world have dirt on the bottom.

Just rinse and sponge it out really well... you could fill it with boiling water to kill any bacteria and not use soaps which could potentially pose a bigger threat to the heath of the fish than the bacteria.

Thank you both, I will rinse and clean it well and now I can't wait to get started - tomorrow can't arrive soon enough!

Just rinse and sponge it out really well... you could fill it with boiling water to kill any bacteria and not use soaps which could potentially pose a bigger threat to the heath of the fish than the bacteria.

boiling water...and glass???? :no:

A weak chlorine-based bleach solution is what I would use. Then rinse it out very carefully, and use dechlorinator when you fill it again.

the boiling water idea will crack it but i great idea which jst came to mind was a steam cleaner no chemicals u can get a cheapo one from jml or sumthing like tht it wud make it uber clean !!

hope tht helps miles

Mice likes to chew and I'd make sure the silicone is still intact. Bleach and water will do the trick and let it soak. This does two things it'll loosen the dirt and you can see the seal holding. Fill it and leave it over night and hose it out the following day. Boiling water will be bad :no: .

Yeah, I didn't like the boiling water idea either.

Good point Mr DS - with a new tank I would have filled and let it sit, but not with this one. However I will do that - the tank looks pristine but you never know with mice and it could be a minor hole.

Thank you everyone.

Boiling water will crack your glass if its very cold but normally will not crack.But rather play safe as suggested by others bleach water mix will work fine.

Boiling water will crack your glass if its very cold but normally will not crack.

Doesn't have to be very cold. I still remember my embarrassment when I tried to make a cup of tea in a drinking glass at the age of 10. On a summer's day, too, so can't have been very cold.

Most reactions

Back