Aquaone 980

Since you have been keeping such meticulous records, have you considered graphing them?

Since you have been keeping such meticulous records, have you considered graphing them?

Wouldnt be a bad idea, once I have completed the cycle I will try do a graph and maybe it will help others?

Thanks KK :)

Day 0
Added 5ml ammonia
Day 1
4ppm Ammonia
Day 2
4ppm Ammonia
Day 3
2ppm Ammonia
Day 4
1ppm Ammonia
Day 5
0.25 Ammonia - 0.25 Nitrite
Day 6
0.00 Ammonia - 0.50 Nitrite - added another 5ml ammonia
Day 7
4ppm Ammonia - 0.50 Nitrite
Day 8
0.25 Ammonia - 1ppm Nitrite
Day 9
0.00 Ammonia - 0.25 Nitrite - 5ppm Nitrate - added another 5ml ammonia
Day 10
2ppm Ammonia - 1.00 Nitrite - 10ppm Nitrate PH of the water is 7.6
Day 11
0ppm Ammonia - 1.00 Nitrite - 10ppm Nitrate - added Ammonia
Day 12
0.25 Ammonia - Drops went purple when they hit the bottom!! Spike?? Nitrate 40ppm.
Day 13
0.00 Ammonia - 5+ppm Nitrite and Nitrate 20ppm.
Day 14
0.00 Ammonia - 0.00 Nitrite (lightblue API test) and Nitrate 20ppm, so I added about 3ml of ammonia. I thought this was odd and retested later in the evening and not sure what had happened but the Nitrite had gone purple again.
Day 15
0.00 Ammonia - 5+ppm Nitrite and 20ppm Nitrate.
Day 16
0.00 Ammonia - 5+ppm Nitrite added ammonia
Day 17
Day 18
Day 19 (12hrs later)
Tested again and the ammonia was gone and nitrite still 5+
Day 19 1/2
Same reading as above added about 3ml ammonia. PH still 7.6ish
Day 20
Still the same readings.
Day 20 + 12hrs
Ammonia back to 0 Nitrite test was 0 light blue!! So added more ammnonia 3ml
Day 21
Ammonia back to 0 NItrite test was 0 light blue again.
Day 21 + 12hrs
Ammonia back to 0 Nitrite test was again 0. Added ammonia 5ml
Day 22
Ammonia 0 Nitrite test was instantly PURPLE!!! Grrr

Day 0
Added 5ml ammonia
Day 1
4ppm Ammonia
Day 2
4ppm Ammonia
Day 3
2ppm Ammonia
Day 4
1ppm Ammonia
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10
Day 11
Day 12
0.25 Ammonia - Drops went purple when they hit the bottom!! Spike?? Nitrate 40ppm.
Day 13
Day 14
0.00 Ammonia - 0.00 Nitrite (lightblue API test) and Nitrate 20ppm, so I added about 3ml of ammonia. I thought this was odd and retested later in the evening and not sure what had happened but the Nitrite had gone purple again.
Day 15
Day 16
Day 17
Day 18
Day 19 (12hrs later)
Day 19 1/2
Day 20
Still the same readings.
Day 20 + 12hrs
Day 21
Day 21 + 12hrs
Day 22
Day 22 + 12hrs
All reading back to zero so added more ammonia. See what the scores are in the morning!!

All back to zero sounds like a good result. Let us know how things go. Sometimes the chemistry is a bit unstable at this stage. It is why we suggest a week of qualifying where you test every day before adding any fish. That way any spikes that come along happen with no fish in the tank.

Its unusual to go straight from the nitrite spike down to processing nitrite(NO2) to zero within 12 hours. Usually there's a period after the nitrite spike when nitrite will process down to zero but it will take somewhere -between- 12 and 24 hours, closer to 24 hours. But this entire fishless cycle has been appearing to move very quickly, so if you keep getting double zeros, I'd agree that it can be considered that you are moving in to your qualifying week -- however, if you had lowered your dose level below 5ppm during the nitrite spike time period and have not brought that back up, then you need to be easing it back up to 4-5ppm and in that case some more time may be necessary.

Let us know whether you were back up to 5ppm dosing,
~~waterdrop~~

Its unusual to go straight from the nitrite spike down to processing nitrite(NO2) to zero within 12 hours. Usually there's a period after the nitrite spike when nitrite will process down to zero but it will take somewhere -between- 12 and 24 hours, closer to 24 hours. But this entire fishless cycle has been appearing to move very quickly, so if you keep getting double zeros, I'd agree that it can be considered that you are moving in to your qualifying week -- however, if you had lowered your dose level below 5ppm during the nitrite spike time period and have not brought that back up, then you need to be easing it back up to 4-5ppm and in that case some more time may be necessary.

Let us know whether you were back up to 5ppm dosing,
~~waterdrop~~

Hi WD,

I had reduced the ammonia for a few occasions at the end of the spike and since the nitrite has started clearing I have now moved it back up to 5ppm which it appears is now taking 12-24 hours to clear. I also wondered about the cycle going quickly but I did buy the tank 2nd hand and we didnt re-set it up for a few weeks after that. As we wern't really aware of fishless cycling before buying the tank we would have tried to keep the filters "wet" of maybe set it up sooner to expedite the process, to be honest I think I am quite happy with the way its gone albeit we have a tank full of brown water :) which is not nice to look at and partially due to some bogwood that is in the tank :) I have to say its been an its been an interesting experiment which we are sure will be worth it once its all done. I can not believe people "use" fish-in-cycling when its just a case of dropping some ammonia in a tank.

Some people just can't look at an empty fish tank so they end up with fish just to have something to look at. I agree that fishless is much easier but it does take patience.

Day 0
Added 5ml ammonia
Day 1
4ppm Ammonia
Day 2
4ppm Ammonia
Day 3
2ppm Ammonia
Day 4
1ppm Ammonia
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10
Day 11
Day 12
Day 13
Day 14
Day 15
Day 16
Day 17
Day 18
Day 19 (12hrs later)
Day 19 1/2
Day 20
Still the same readings.
Day 20 + 12hrs
Day 21
Day 21 + 12hrs
Day 22
Day 22 + 12hrs
All reading back to zero so added more ammonia. See what the scores are in the morning!!
Day 23
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 5ppm+
Day 23 + 12hrs
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Added ammonia
Day 24
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 5ppm+

Have you considered just keeping the full log in your original post and just editing it to add the extra data you get every day? That way the thread doesn't full of the same copy/paste of the entire log every day. Also, it helps too in the way that the regulars here often jump in to check the first post as that is the usual method

Have you considered just keeping the full log in your original post and just editing it to add the extra data you get every day? That way the thread doesn't full of the same copy/paste of the entire log every day. Also, it helps too in the way that the regulars here often jump in to check the first post as that is the usual method

Just for you I will do just that :eek:) Merry Xmas

Day 30

Still no change in the tank apart from I have adjusted the temperature of the tank up a couple of degrees.

Patience is a virtue!! :)

Hi Waterdrop,

Thats the temperature I have "upped" it to so I think I have covered all the bases with the cycle. Wait and see time :)

Most reactions

Back