Aquaclear Powerheads Suck!

nsomnia

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my 4th aquaclear 70 powerhead in a about 18 months just kicked the bucket. they have the stupid waterline setup on them and if a little water evaporates from the tank you have to adjust them, i had two die last year from the water level slightly dropping so the third one i had gotten i decided to just dunk it a couple inches under to see what would happen and it was dead by the next day... so unless you have an over flow these are useless. they have about a 1 inch variance for the water level or they die... pain in the but... the worst is i had just setup a temporary 32 gallon for two small africans and two small male fronts so i could beef them up to go into my big tank... i was using the powerhead for oxygen, guess i should have known better becouse it lasted about a week and im not even shure why it stopped working. unfortunatly i lost the fish. no more aquaclear products for me

That's really odd, as they make one of the best products around. I've been abusing AquaClear gear for many years, it holds up better than most. It could be a situation of them having a bad run, this happened with Ebo-Jager heaters years ago, when they sold out to a different company.

I would without a doubt get a refund, and try purchasing from a different shop. I haven't bought any in years, no need to, as they keep running. One, a 20, is running over 2 years in an oscar tank, where the fish regularly beats on it. I have a 70 running in an outdoor tub loaded with floating plants. It plugs every few weeks thanks to the roots, I rinse it off & toss it back in.

If the place you purchased it from is not receptive, contact Hagen, they are a good company. I've intentionally tried to kill their products, so far they win.

How could your water be dropping 1" over night? My tanks don't drop 1" in a week.

petstore replaced it with a fluval powerhead, its submersible

AC's are submersible as well. Thanks for replying, I'm about to go mow the lawn, and need to pull mine out & rinse it. Most powerheads are designed to be submersed, the water acts as a coolant, as is common with many filters.

Most reactions

Back