Aqua-babies

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alien Anna

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
since this topic came up I thought I'd look into it.

Here's the main Aqua Babies site.

As you can see, the theory sounds fine, particularly the stuff about "cycled gravel", however a quick look on their National Classroom Study site gives a different story - fatalities up to 24% over the 8 week duration of the study.

Not only that, but all but one Aqua Baby tank showed significant nitrite concentrations, and the one that didn't had the highest death rate (suggesting perhaps that the tank hadn't even got passed the ammonia stage of cycling?). It is quite clear, in my opinion, that the tanks were not actually cycled (a cycled tank has zero nitrite) and the deaths and nitrite levels over the 8 weeks are consistent with that. Cycling with fish typically takes 8-10 weeks.

Please note that even if the nitrite doesn't actually kill the fish, that doesn't mean to say they have got off scott-free - living in a poisoned environment causes significant suffering to fish (I believe) and may cause permenant damage to their internal organs, gills and immune system.

Incidently, how do you remove dead fish from the tank if it's an enclosed micro-environment? The instructions re. frog skins suggest you should leave it there as it's part of the mini eco-system! :sick:

As for species, several different species are used including white cloud mountain minnows, gold barbs, danios, rosy minnows, cherry barbs, guppies and endlers. Our new member with the Aqua Babies needs to figure out what species she has - presumably they're livebearers, as they've been breeding, so it's probably endlers or guppies of some kind. From her description, I'd suspect they were endlers or "Mosquito fish" (a wild kind of guppy).

Another part of the instructions suggests "Fish do not get lonely and one or two fish are fine in your little tank". This is despite the fact that the majority of species they use are schooling fish who are likely to be unhappy in groups lower than 6 (although in a community aquarium, so fish keepers might keep them in 3s). There also seems to be inadequate swimming space, especially for expert swimmers like danios, endlers and minnows.

Their tank cleaning instructions are, IMHO, likely to lead to the tank cycling every time it is cleaned out, and the recommendation to do a 25% water change once a month is way lower than it should be for such a small tank.

Most of all, I can't see why there is anything special about these Aqua Baby tanks that couldn't be said of an ordinary little tank you set up yourself?

Hello

I had to reply, since I was the one who started this off - ooops. LOL

Yes, the Aqua Baby system does seem to be a good one.

But when out local shopping centre had almost all their stock die off in a very short time, to me it seem cruel to keep fish in such a small plastic box.

We have got them banned from sale here - and talking to my local fish shops, they seem to think I'm the only person left who has surviving Aqua Babies - albeit I did buy a 18 x 12 x 12 tank, power head, undreground filter, plants, rocks, gravel, heater, light, plants etc etc. I rescued them from a friend's shelf who wasn't really doing anything with them.

They have bred, and are very happy in their new enviroment, it's not exactly a biotope, but they are much happier.

pictures here http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9718

I've always found it hard keeping fish, because I think of the fact that most fish can swim around in as much water as they like, and we keep them in a puddle of water. I am slowly coming round to fish keeping, I've spent a long time learning how to keep my little minnow's properly, and I love it, I really do.

I am starting plants on a new set up, new tank, new fish, new plants, - I am very lucky to have found this place, as it is a great help, and people here are so pasionate about looking after their fish properly and everyone here wants to help those in need. It's great, so for the first time, I'm not feeling guilty about keeping fish anymore :)

However my heart goes out to all those fishies who've lost their lives due to being sold in small plastic containers :( I still think it's wrong :no: and should be stoppped. It is my opinion - I'm sure other's feel the same way?

I'm glad for this new hobby I've found, and love it to bits, and my fish :)

I'm hoping to stock my next tank with 'returned stock' or even rescued stock :)

Many thanks :)

Its sad when newbies buy those stupid tanks and torture fish. People need to be properly informed before buying fish. It sickens me when lfs's sell tanks and fish to newbies in the same day! :no:

Hopefully in the future the general public will become more aware.

rosierabbit said:
sorry for being stupid, but what is an aquababy? are they special fish that have been bred so they're smaller, or are they just sold in a stupidly small tub?
They're normal fish sold in a stupidly small container. Follow the links I gave and you can find out.

Never even heard of Aquababies until this thread. :blink:

Has this been around for a while? It looks cruel to me or is it just because I don't know enough about it?

sadly i am related 2 one of those stupid people that buy aquababies! we first met them at a craft fair and they said that u didn't need 2 do anything....just a water change when the water gets gross :-( now i see those poor fish being sold in stores that don't even have a pet department like the Bay.......just a new decoration....it's sick....just like the bettas in vases...one store is trying to sell them for $75+.....people see these things as an easy way to have a fish.....no cleaning or anything.....if they only knew the truth :alien:

dont know if u have them in america (and everywhere else), but here in england you can get something called 'sea monkeys' :no: . they're actually brine shrimp, and are sold in little plastic tubs/tank/pod things :eek: . technically, i think they have enough room, but you can buy them in toy shops :blink: , which is just not right. in fact, it's wrong!! :sly:

dont know if u have them in america (and everywhere else), but here in england you can get something called 'sea monkeys

Yep we have them here. I remember I used to see them in the back of my comic books when I was growing up. :D

I'm guilty of not knowing any better and I bought one of the AquaBabies "stupidly small container" like in the picture from the site that Alien Anna posted in her thread. It was either in 1997 or 1998 (so they've been around awhile). I believed they would be alright, like I said not knowing any better. Having cats I appropriately named them Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack. ~smile~ But within about 6 months they all died (but at different times). Boy was I heart broken. I burried them in my rose garden. :sad:

raylene, it's ok that you didn't know, cos the company should at least tell people what a dumb thing it is. in fact, the company should not even sell them. then there would be no company and we'd all be happy!! (except the company!!) :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

smb said:
dont know if u have them in america (and everywhere else), but here in england you can get something called 'sea monkeys

Yep we have them here. I remember I used to see them in the back of my comic books when I was growing up. :D
Personally, I feed them to my gouramis.

Since Sea Monkeys are invertebrates, don't even have a true Central Nervous System and can actually mate when decapitated, I don't have a problem with it. If I did, I'd have a problem with using head lice shampoo on my kids! :sick:

Okay, sorry, I'm still processing al of this still, (sadly) So there's this little conatiner, like the creuel ones that are sold for bettas, and a couple of small fish, or frogs, or snails in there. Also, you don't have to do anything, but change the water every now and then, it has live plants, and some rocks, and thats it, voila, a mini ecosystem?? Is that what they're doing and saying? Do I have the facts right? If so, this is stupid, and inhumane!!! Do you know what I would do, buy thousands of these thing, take out the fish and put them in a 55 gallon!!!
Ron

buying thousands of them would just make them get more and put more innocent fish, frogs, and snails in tiny little jugs. If people would just stop buying them, they would go out of business.

Most reactions

Back