Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bittersweet

• stanley

• myenigmaself

• Total voters
stanley. your tank looks superb.. if you dont win i think you can safely say your tank is still BY FAR the best..

well done.

fly hockeys is nice too.

If there are only 2 tanks to choose from... what fun is a STOTM vote?

I think he made the right choice, but i do agree that aquascaping a 10 gal is a little harder then a 29 gallon.. but.. you could always do what stanley did with smaller plants :whistle: -_- :dunno:

Stanley, very nice tank!

Ew... I thought I might have a chance for a TOTM, but it certainly ain't looking that way. :unsure: IMO, I think there really is no way for a 10 to win aganist a 29. That's not just because I have a small tank either - I just really think it's nearly impossible to have as impressive of a tank when it's teeny! :X

Boo aganist the new rules! Though I do understand where you are coming from Ken. A few months ago I would have told you to do this, but now it seems a lot of smaller tanks are being showcased, so perhaps we can go back to how we were? :dunno:

I would have voted for stanly but his tank is too big :whistle:

So i don't think I will vote.

I mean I only have a 5 gallon at the moment but i have tried my best with it for a first attempt....now that's a small tank, none of this 30 gallon rubbish :p

Ben

To be honest, I agree with it not being fair on people with truly small tanks that they have to compete with much larger tanks.

I am sorry but in the fish keeping world, big is usually better.

Maybe someone already suggested this, but I didn't see it. How about if there is a minimum of 4 or 5 tanks to have a competition for STOTM, and if that quota isn't met the tanks that were nominated will be rolled over to the next month, continuing until the quota is met. It may be overly complicated, but I see it as a potential solution to this debacle :D

stil wundering Y y tanks not listed in votes? i was nominated at least 2xs alaska for one and think fly hockey but the posts are gone, just wundering how one gets in? i did read the rules and again was nominated by 2 diff memebers ...its no bigge and may have been over looked i just would like to know y?????????????? thats all

I can see what some of you are saying about the larger tanks beening alowed to enter,but i dont think that just because its a bigger tank that it will always be better.Sure theres a bit more room to work with but that just means that a little more thought has to go into aquascaping the smaller tanks.

check out these two tanks,a 7 and 10g

Attachments

• 125_1_.jpg
    125_1_.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 37
Stanley, I totaly agree that smaller tanks can, in some cases, be better than bigger tanks. I think the question at hand is what you said, that it takes a lot more effort to make a small tank look as good as a big tank. This makes it difficult to judge who did the best with what they had, versus who simply has the best tank. I guess the real question is, "What are we judging here?" There's also the argument that a 30 gallon tank couldn't compete with a 120 gallon tank, so should there be a MTOTM as well? Or how about a 5GTOTM, 10GTOTM, 30GTOTM, 55GTOTM, 100GTOTM, etc... (I'm just making a point). Although I'm getting stomped by a larger tank, I think that given the current system this is correct.

I think I just changed my opinion by thinking it through :blink:

Ok, that's my rant ;)

There's also the argument that a 30 gallon tank couldn't compete with a 120 gallon tank

Thats exactly what I was thinking! My reasoning was that its unfair no matter what way you cut it, size is only one factor.

It is true that you can do so much more with a 100G tank than a 30G, but in Ireland from my own experience, a half decent tank over 50G costs an arm and a leg, I mean near a monthly salary for your average worker. From this I think its not the size, but what you do with it that is what makes it a winner. A small tank with a great idea (love the tube BTW!) can be more eye-catching than a 100G that looks like every other well executed 100G.

About having MTOTM (medium), yes its a good idea, however, we already have FOTM heat 1, 2 and 3, BOTM heat 1 and 2, LTOTM, STOTM and then FOTM and BOTM finals! Thats 9 competitions where we used to have 3! the whole pics forum would have 4 or 5 posts, the rest would be pinned competitions rules, etc etc....

It gets very hard to look after, and people will eventually get tired of waiting for pics to D/L and take the time to vote. We only average 100 votes at the moment, out of almost 4,500 members :/

What I wanted to do with this months STOTM was to seperate the large pro tanks from the average members 10, 20 and 30G. Its not a perfect solution by any means, but we will keep an open mind.

One idea I was throwing around was to have a vote, then each member can post with a nomination for a 'commended' award which will be for a tank you think is innovative, clever or just a very close second. the tank withthe highest number of commendations would get a 'commended' banner for their sig. What do you guys think?

Ken

Most reactions

Back