šŸ” FOTM Vote Now - April 2024 Fish of the Month Contest Loricariidae (suckermouth) fish

Vote Now - April 2024 Fish of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator āš’ļø
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED
fotm-banner-small.jpg

Loricariidae
:fish: :fish:

:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 6 awesome Loricariidae entered into April 2024 Fish of the Month Contest. View all the entries and descriptions below and then go to the top of page - click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific entry in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted.
You are not allowed to update your entry picture once voting has started.

Please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

The winner is awarded a neat banner in his profile area and will be featured in a Winner Thread for all to see and to comment. The winner also will be added to our FOTM Wall of Fame .

Poll will close on April 29th at 4:10 PM ET (US).

Good luck to our entrants in the Fish of the Month contest. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
OEW.jpg

This is OEW, also known as One-Eyed Willie - one of the three Otocinclus Affinis that I have in my 60L. I got this little guy back in Oct 2021, and he came with only one eye. To this day, I am still curious as to how he lost his other eye. During the day OEW tends to hide away but thrives at night time. He is always looking for an algae wafer to snack on or wrestling with the other Otos for his favorite spot in the tank. Next to the heater.

IMG_4464.jpeg

This is my L 134 leopard frog pleco. I have a trio of them. They live in a 60 gallon lowboy breeder with three ottocinculas catfish seven corrys 16 yellow cherry shrimp. He gets to navigate his way through a jungle Cabomba, limnophilia hippuridoidies,sagitaria subulata, anubis, java fern, ceratopyllum emerson. I do not name my fish as that is a sure way to make them die. they get fed food daily plus algae and shrimp pellets. Weekly blood worms and brine shrimp. occasionally live black worms and live brine shrimp. I do a variety of bottom, feeding foods, including algae wafers that contain multiple forms of omega3 , 6 & 9. and variety of other sinking food on occasion. Weekly vegetables, including broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSC00018.JPG

5 year old 3.5" female L046 in a colony of 14. Housed in a 50 gallon tank by themselves. These fish are so hard to get good pics of and I'm a terrible photographer so apologies ahead of time. I coaxed her out with her favorite EBO softgran sponge. If you feed them, they will come...These fish actually do spend quite a bit of time out when the lights are off but taking pics of them in low light does them absolutely no justice. The group is very active together and cruise around the tank causing a ruckus daily. There are 10 smaller fish in this colony around 2-2.5" and all of them except my 2 big males get along splendidly.

I use a mix of high protein food, everything from Dr Bassleer to EBO, Daphnia and frozen mysis. I have tried various greens but it just sits and I end up pulling out mush. They want the meats! The tank is gonna get some tiny gravel very soon because I'm tired of the reflection and I think they'll enjoy it more. I'm also gonna introduce some cherry shrimp in the next couple of months.

Weekly water changes (sometimes twice a week) and I keep my TDS between 55-65. Just love these black and white hypancistrus.

IMG_2304.jpeg

Okā€¦ Iā€™ve already determined that I canā€™t win, but I suppose we need more than be 3 entriesā€¦ 1st I couldn't find it for a Placard picture, then I just about disassembled the whole tank looking for it, & was unable to find it...

Unbelievableā€¦ Repashi sticks brought him outā€¦ from where, I do not knowā€¦ placard picture needs zoomed, but heā€™s on the driftwood behind the placard

Last edited:
IMG_20240413_152204.jpg

I'd like to enter my tiny golden ancistrus, the first loricariidae I've ever kept.
I find their spotty pattern really beautiful, especially on the tail and fins. It can easily disappear in the 120cm 280L tank, so it's extra special when they're out and about, and I get to have a good look at them. I haven't been able to identify whether its a female or male fish yet, as they're still so small (hence I've referred to them as neither he or she.)

It lives in a planted tank with lots of driftwood and river stones to graze on, and many peaceful tank mates. Rosy tetras and beckford pencilfish (both of which are spawning in the tank), as well as hengels rasboras, cherry shrimp and a male bolivian ram cichlid.

PXL_20240401_171039457.jpg

Bristlenose Pleco - SuperRed
Name - Sucky (Original huh! My daughter named it, she is 5)
Age - Around 3 Months (I think)
Tank Mates - 6 Guppies, 6 False Julii Cory and 9 Cherry Shrimp
Tank Size 125 Litres (30G)
Food - Veg, Algae Wafers, Bug Bites

Personality - Not as peaceful as people let on, real grumpy when its scheduled feeding time. Also not particularly nocturnal. This beauty eats 24/7 up and down the tank, across the driftwood, over the plants ALL DAY ALL NIGHT long. It also poo's continuously. As can be partially seen in the pic above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back