Apple Snails...

No they wont because they cant sell them...

Maybe a vet, local council or even the RSPCA (or other animal rescue organisations) will know where you can take excess of these snails too.

or maybe other aquatic site's like facebook and classified?

Marketable, very, but for the wrong reasons. Sadly a recent EU legislation tweak made them illegal to trade in the UK, so you won't see any for sale.

it is NOT illegal to trade them. It is illegal to IMPORT them.

Do you know if fish shops would accept them? I'm over run with apple snails right now and no idea where else i can take them to.

Cheers
Laura

I would like to buy some apple snails so if you have any surplus, particularly pretty colours, I'd be happy to buy some.

The exact wording is a prohibition of them being introduced into or spread within in the union.

So spreading is the same as trading yes?

This is the post on the FERA website (part of DEFRA) before the ban came into place(here they already mention the impact of people breeding the species and asking opinions. Personally, I think they are awaiting more information before they decide to amend the law to involve those who are breeding Apple Snails.
The European Food Safety Authority has recently published an opinion http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/2552.htmevaluating a Spanish pest risk analysis on Pomacea insularum, the island apple snail. The PRA had been prepared in response to the presence of the snail in the Ebro delta of Spain, where it has been causing damage to rice production and the natural environment. As the snail can currently be imported, bred and traded freely, there is the possibility of release into the environment, either intentionally, or accidentally from outdoor aquaria and breeding sites etc.
The EFSA opinion largely supports the Spanish PRA regarding the threat that the snail poses should there be further introductions and spread. While rice fields and natural wetlands are known to be at risk, other aquatic environments could also be threatened, through impacts on ecosystems and biodiversity. Large parts of the EU could be at risk due to the snail's polyphagous nature and the fact that it can survive in a range of climatic conditions. This includes wetlands and other aquatic bodies in the UK.
The EU's Standing Committee on Plant Health has considered the Spanish PRA and EFSA opinion and concluded that legislative measures to prevent further introduction and spread should be considered. This could include a ban on import, breeding and trade. In addition to Pomacea insularum, there is the possibility of measures being extended to Pomacea canaliculata, which is considered to be virtually indistinguishable from P. insularum, or even all Pomacea.
To help ensure that any measures are evidence based and proportionate, views are invited from organisations and individuals with an interest in the snail. For those in the trade, it would be helpful to have evidence about the scale of the industry and volumes and value of snails being imported, bred and traded. Also, what the impact would be in the event that such actions were prohibited in future. For instance, are other species available which could replace Pomacea? It would be helpful to receive views on whether there is any evidence to support different approaches for Pomacea, other than P. insularum. Views are also welcome on the potential environmental impact of the snail and from those responsible for aquaria, water gardens etc.
The Standing Committee on Plant Health will be starting the process of considering legislative measures possibly as early as 20 February, therefore any initial views would be welcome by then. But contributions after that date are also welcome, as the process will take several months at least.
Comments should be sent to:
Plant Health Risk Management
Room 10GA07
The Food and Environment Research Agency
Sand Hutton
York
YO41 1LZ
Email: [email protected]
<div style='display: inline'>[<em>You must enable Javascript to see this email address</em>]</div>
I will also quote Jeremy Gay from the PFK magazine as he has been in contact with OATA and apparently OATA dont share our views, they do intend for the population to die out in the UK completely. I share the same view with Jeremy in that it will be no time before legislation is reworded.

OATA interpret the UK plant health wording slightly differently however, placing a strong emphasis on the wording about not spreading them within the EU, and yes, passing them on to others or selling/giving them back to your shop could be seen as spreading them by some.

As I see it, the powers that be are assuming that numbers will now start to decline and that within a few years there will far less or even no apple snails left in the UK, so the problem will disappear.

But we know as hobbyists that they are prolific breeders and that some could actually have many more snails in a few years time, not less, and if I think about it, with shops not taking them in that could cause more of a risk of abandonment.

So sadly, if the latter scenario does happen the EU will be more likely to ban the keeping of them as well.

I dont advocate anyone breeding them at all. You wont like it when laws change and you have to cull them all when it beomes ilegal to even own them.

I bought one from a LFS two weeks ago for less than £2.  I then saw more of them in another LFS for £5 - £7.50!  I thought sod that and went back to the first LFS who no longer have any of them and told me about this import ban.

Has my other LFS increased the price as they know they are now much more difficult to buy?  If so is that not a little naughty?  

TarkMalbot said:
I bought one from a LFS two weeks ago for less than £2.  I then saw more of them in another LFS for £5 - £7.50!  I thought sod that and went back to the first LFS who no longer have any of them and told me about this import ban.

Has my other LFS increased the price as they know they are now much more difficult to buy?  If so is that not a little naughty?  

That's called business.

Well seeing as shops will now be getting down to the last few snails available in shops now, there will be higher demand. Anything with low availability and high demand has a high price... why do you think things like Zebra Plecs cost so much?

Most reactions

Back