Apisto Genders

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Reaction score
Pretty sure they are both males: one dominant and one subordinate. Sorry the pics are a little blurry, my camera does not like macros!

Here's the first:
IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

And here's the second:
IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

Someone tell me whether I'm crazy or not! :lol:

when i bought them the woman seemed pretty knowledgable, and she tipped a fair few out because she thought she had two males.

the 'dominant' male always looked bigger and brighter and when i looked it up the 'sub dominant' one looked like a girl.
sorry if youve got 2 males!

I don't mind, but the second one is definitely not yellow, and has a lyre shaped tail. The dorsal and anal fins also extend beyond the base of the tail, and the 2-4th dorsal rays are extended. It's not a bother if they are both males - just means I either can't have babies, or need to buy twice as many females and twice as many tanks if I want to breed them! :lol: :hey: :shifty: :whistle: :lol:

they only go yellow when getting jiggy dont they?

because (im going to call it 'it' from now on) its fairly pale so i just thought once it would get in the mood it would change colour, and i never really got a look at its tail, just looked at the dorsal and thought it was female. oh well.

I think the top one Is male and the bottom is female

B'reet :) :friends: I just want someone who knows to have a look and tell me one way or the other! :lol:

Im pretty sure you got a male and female, i would just say the female isnt in spawning mode. Seems to be a faily big size difference too. However, im no expert so shall pass judgement for now! :D

lovely fish, im after some F1's :|

Hmm... everywhere I've read says that females should be yellow, even when not in spawning mode, and they have round tails, not lyre shaped ones. :blink: :S

There isn't a size difference at the moment - they're fairly similar in size.

I think male and female :unsure:
My females were only yellow when they were ready to spawn :good:

Ok, I'll go for that! Even better lol :lol:

Maybe there shall be babies after all! :good: (thinking it might become my new project!) :hey: :shifty:

Whatever they are they're beauties!! Well done to Hannah for keeping such beautiful fish and well done to you for rehoming them for her. :good:

What are the behaviours of them both like Caz?

And what was their behaviours like when you had them Hannah? I have found this a decent way of sexing some of my fish. (But maybe thats just me?!) :lol:

Erm, they pretty much just mooch about the tank.

The fe/male is systematically decimating the mts population :lol: she stalks them. Like a cat stalks a fly. It's awesome!! :hyper:

Most reactions

Back