API Tap Water Conditioner vs. Seachem Prime

There is more to consider between these two products that just the amount needed. But before getting to that, if one has only to deal with chlorine (as I do) then API Tap Water Conditioner is without question the best product to be using. It messes the least with water chemistry, you use half as much as Prime recommends, so you also save money as well as help the fish.

The problem with Prime for me is what it does (or doesn't do) beyond just dechlorinate. The "detoxification" of heavy metals for example. Prime does this with a chemical that--according to Seachem--prevents the uptake of heavy metals that are plant nutrients (iron, copper, zinc, manganese). This is why Seachem recommend not using Flourish or other fertilizers for 36+ hours after a water change using Prime. The API TWC does not have this issue, and fertilizers are safe to add following the water change.

Another issue with Prime is that the detoxification of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate also involves yet more chemicals. And Seachem will not really explain how this works, for trade secrecy. If you do not have nitrite or nitrate issues in the source water--note, this is in the tap water, not in the aquarium which is a totally different matter--then there is no logic or benefit whatsoever in using Prime. The less chemicals entering the water the better for the fish. As for ammonia, this is also highly questionable, as the recent thread posted by @TwoTankAmin describes.
I never knew. I am switching from Prime to API then. I won't need much anyway, as currently running with 80% RO, but a heavily planted tank.

Make sure it is API Tap Water Conditioner as they make three different dechlorinators.

If you fill with a bucket, the dose rate for chlorine is 1 drop per 3.6 litres. The smallest bottle (1 fl oz/30 ml) has a dropper in the flip top lid. (Image from API website)

1692544064391.png

The other sizes have measuring cup lids. I bought 1 of this ^ size then once that was used I buy bigger bottles to refil the small bottle. Don't get a very big bottle as it lasts ages and will be out of date before it's half used. That small bottle will treat 1824 litres.

Most reactions

Back