Api Stress Zyme

Near as I can tell, the best way still is to get some donated or self-established filter media. Voila! Cycled tank. No charge.

I could link you to a large USA based fish site similar to this one where DrTim is a member there since 2007 and has indeed posted and answered questions from newbies and experienced folks alike. Not only that, he sent out about 10 free samples to some of the members to try out at the end of last year. A number of the members reported back on their results. I know he was posting there this year as well answering Qs about tank chemistry and cycling and not dealing with any of his products. His last post was last month. You see not only does he have the Ph.D.- but he is also an avid fishkeeper.

I will not post a link as 100% it would violate the rules here re linking to general fish sites.

Out of the Blue???? Dang they must have my join date wrong :hey:

I perfectly well remember you posting and being a part of any number of interesting discussions in 2008 when I had just joined and I've always been aware of your join date. I just meant that it seemed like a couple years went by that we hadn't heard from you!

I remember more recently the one guy we had reporting on trying out oneandonly I think had some email interaction with Tim getting a recommendation to dose the product more heavily than he was originally.. but I don't remember if that then improved things, so it just felt like we still had a lack of information rather than negative information. I gather you're seeing reports on the other site(s) of improved cycling times? If so, that would be interesting to know. If anybody should be able to pull it off successfully it would be Tim I'd hope - he always seemed very straight up and honest about the science and which things were just speculations on his part - things like that. That always inspires trust in my book, so I've always tried to continue to pay attention to information from him. The whole subject is really fascinating.

WD

Just an fyi- While I am a fan of Dr. H., I do not nor have I ever used any products to cycle any of my tanks. Over the years I have probably cycled 15-20 tanks dosing ammonia and seeding from other tanks as well as being a live plant person. I have maintained the cycle in a few as well that were emptied of fish for a while using ammonia. That was before I learned (from DrTim) that the bacteria wont die as fast as I had believed

Probably more unusual is the fact that I use off the shelf supermarket ammonia which has surfactants added. My experience has shown me that a combination of water changes and using carbon must be removing the surfactants as I never lose fish. I even cycled the tank I put imported small altums into using this method.

As for time away, I was finding back then that there was a general atmosphere on this site which was not overly friendly and I simply stopped visiting for a while. But I have always felt I should make an effort to help those just starting out as it was some great fish chats and forums that taught me a lot when I was just getting started in the hobby at the start of this century. So I came back to see what was up :)

I would be interested in seeing this too. If they can get it right this would boost the entire fish industry as more beginners would have success the first time and remain interested in the hobby.

I love a good discussion, even if I am wrong. That just gives me an opportunity to learn and share.

Most reactions

Back