API master test kit

There is a risk that any contaminant could kill the bacteria you want to grow.

You don't say which tester it is but they contain the following:
Ammonia #1 - polyethylene glycol, sodium nitroprusside, sodium salycilate
Ammonia #2 - sodium hydroxide, sodium hypochlorite
Nitrite - polyethylene glycol, hydrochloric acid.
Nitrate #1 - hydrochloric acid, other unspecified ingredients
Nitrate #2 - polyethylene glycol, sulfanilamide

I would not want even a trace of these in my tanks.

There is a risk that any contaminant could kill the bacteria you want to grow.

You don't say which tester it is but they contain the following:
Ammonia #1 - polyethylene glycol, sodium nitroprusside, sodium salycilate
Ammonia #2 - sodium hydroxide, sodium hypochlorite
Nitrite - polyethylene glycol, hydrochloric acid.
Nitrate #1 - hydrochloric acid, other unspecified ingredients
Nitrate #2 - polyethylene glycol, sulfanilamide

I would not want even a trace of these in my tanks.
api master test kit ( in title)

The API master test kits test for 5 different things - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and high range pH. Which one was it that you rinsed the tube in the tank? Or was it all of them?

I never allow any test kit chemicals anywhere near my tank. I use a 1 ml pipette to remove water from the tank and into the test tube. I then take the test tube to the kitchen next to the sink where I add the drops from the bottle. When I've read the test I empty the water down the sink and rinse the tube and cap under the cold tap. I also wash the pipette by sucking cold tap water into it. Then I dry the tubes, inside and out, and caps with a paper towel.

so it would show on a test
most likely not enough of it to affect the test but the contaminated water is literally a poison for fish. Some chemicals are absorbed by live plants too, it's known for example for plants to kill shrimps and snails because they were treated with copper. The same goes for all other chemicals that should not enter the tank. Wash everything, replace the water and don't put leftovers back into the tank.

If you are not willing to actually fix the problem it can in a long run can affect the animals you are planning to look after. Treat the water in the tank the same way you would want to treat the air around you - don't release anything that is not intended to be there :)

Last edited:
well i dont no what do because a alot of people have said leave it it will be fine and some people said replace water i think i might leave it instead of replacing everything

It's 19L, what harm will it do if you replace the water to make it free of toxic chemicals? None. What harm will it do IF it does poison or kill your fish? I have 150L and I can assure you I would clean it all, although I do have livestock in so my situation is different to yours. I watched both of your threads and majority of us advised you to clean the tank. You do what you want to do, just remember that you are about to take care of live animals. They can't hop out of water and tell you that it's bad for them. Whatever you decide to do - good luck! :fish:

Last edited:
right then no nneed to get mardy with me i am new and figuring things out and i am going to leave it and i bet it is going to be fine so good bye

and i have been in touch with a pet shop and they have said it will be fine i will listen to the experts not you

Pet shops are not experts as many members have found to their cost. We always tell members no to listen to anything a shop worker says as most have been trained only in how to sell things.

I did not say to replace anyhting, just to remove all the water, wash the filter,heater, substrate and any other decor under the tap, then put everything back in the tank and refill it. Since you have only just started cycling (which will take a few weeks) all you'll do is make it take a day or two longer.

hi I have got a API master test kit and to clean the tube I tip about 98 percent of the tube waste away and then dip it in the tank water 💦 and swish it round and put it back in the tank is this good or bad

thanks
Bad.
The reagents in the test kits are extremely toxic and should not be put in an aquarium. They shouldn't be poured down the drain either. The best thing to do is pour it on the lawn and rinse it out a few times with tap water.

Most reactions

Back