API master test kit

Newguy122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi I have got a API master test kit and to clean the tube I tip about 98 percent of the tube waste away and then dip it in the tank water 💦 and swish it round and put it back in the tank is this good or bad

thanks

hi I have got a API master test kit and to clean the tube I tip about 98 percent of the tube waste away and then dip it in the tank water 💦 and swish it round and put it back in the tank is this good or bad

thanks
i think just wash it in whatever water and dry it

I don't quite follow this. If you mean cleaning/rinsing the tube after using it to test "x", this should only be done under the tap. Dump the tube contents down the drain, and rinse under the tap several times. When you next use the test, rinse the tube in the tank water (the tube will be "clean," this just ensures that only tank water is in the tube) and fill the tube to the line, then add the test drops.

I don't quite follow this. If you mean cleaning/rinsing the tube after using it to test "x", this should only be done under the tap. Dump the tube contents down the drain, and rinse under the tap several times. When you next use the test, rinse the tube in the tank water (the tube will be "clean," this just ensures that only tank water is in the tube) and fill the tube to the line, then add the test drops.
what i think they are tallking about is that they got a new test kit and is washing it?

But will it affect the tank water the way I have done it

thanks
what did you test?
the liquid maybe will harm the fish
but i still do not get it if you are doing it after test or before test

But will it affect the tank water the way I have done it

thanks
It certainly may....the method to clean the tubes that Byron described above is the way it should be done.

Replace the tube with a 20 ml syringe, you can then pull enough water to do all four tests, pH, NH3, NO2, NO3. After you are done you can rinse the syringe as others have suggested and let it dry. The test tube never goes in the tank then.

Replace the tube with a 20 ml syringe, you can then pull enough water to do all four tests, pH, NH3, NO2, NO3. After you are done you can rinse the syringe as others have suggested and let it dry. The test tube never goes in the tank then.
This is the method I use, though my syringe max is 5 ml...I use it for dosing dechlor, rarely test my tank water in my established tanks.

Never put the test tube in the tank water. Either scoop some tank water out with a clean container and fill the tube from that or use a clean pipette or syringe to take water out the tank.

Never ever rinse the tube in the tank, only under the tap. Rinse thoroughly under running cold water then dry the inside of the tube with a paper towel.

Since you rinsed the tube in the tank, the tank water will now be contaminated. As it's only a 19 litre (5 gallon) tank, I would empty the tank, wash everything in it with cold tap water then refill with dechlorinated water.

You may need to start the cycle again. But you say in your other thread that you've only just started by adding Stress Zyme, the cycle won't have got very far yet.

Most reactions

Back