Api Kh Test Kit

-SPB-

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've just purchased an API KH test kit, and can't get a reading as i have to add 14 drops before the solution goes yellow. Now the chart on the instructions only goes up to 12 drops. :angry:

My question, is there any way i can find out what my reading is, does anyone know where i can get a better chart. I really need this reading as i need to know my CO2 levels.

I've just purchased an API KH test kit, and can't get a reading as i have to add 14 drops before the solution goes yellow. Now the chart on the instructions only goes up to 12 drops. :angry:

My question, is there any way i can find out what my reading is, does anyone know where i can get a better chart. I really need this reading as i need to know my CO2 levels.
This is a good site: http://www.fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html

Just type in the amount of drops and you pH reading and it will give you your ppm of CO2.

Martin :good:

If it took 14 drops to trun yellow that is your KH level :) 1 drop equals 1 degree KH, so your water is 14dKH. If you want to convert this to ppm, then multiply by 17.9, so 14x17.9 = 250ppm KH :)

Sam

This is a good site: http://www.fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html

Just type in the amount of drops and you pH reading and it will give you your ppm of CO2.

Thanks much appreciated.

I've got a CO2 reading of about 10ppm.

Thanks.

I've got one of those co2 kits with the aerosol c02 unit (waste of £20 that was), and obviously needed to know my co2 levels after a week. Pretty poor really. I've just bought a yeast based one which i will install tomorrow, then see how it goes. I think i need to increase my wpg aswell as i'm only getting about 1.76 but i'm not quite sure how. I've 2 lights @ 20w in a 100l tank.

Anyhows, thanks for the advice.

Thanks.

I've got one of those co2 kits with the aerosol c02 unit (waste of £20 that was), and obviously needed to know my co2 levels after a week. Pretty poor really. I've just bought a yeast based one which i will install tomorrow, then see how it goes. I think i need to increase my wpg aswell as i'm only getting about 1.76 but i'm not quite sure how. I've 2 lights @ 20w in a 100l tank.

Anyhows, thanks for the advice.
I had the same kind of situation, I was limited with just the ballast holding two Y8 tubes that came witht he tank. I found out that the T6 tubes that give out 40% more light could fit in the same socket as the T8 tubes. The only thing I had to do was get washes to stop water from getting to places it shouldn't.

It's made a world of difference, I bought them from AE.

By the way, why didn't a pressurised CO2 system work for you?

It's a floramat one with an aerosol can. Only cost about £19. I don't think i can get enough co2 into the water, in fact i know i can't. If i had the money i'd spend £150 on a proper pressurised system but i'll have to wait!!!

Thanks for the advice though.

It's a floramat one with an aerosol can. Only cost about £19. I don't think i can get enough co2 into the water, in fact i know i can't. If i had the money i'd spend £150 on a proper pressurised system but i'll have to wait!!!

half that much gets you the same kit I have from Germany, its quality is exemplary as is ease of use and build quality.

you'll find it on here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Aquarianerversand

hope that helps

half that much gets you the same kit I have from Germany, its quality is exemplary as is ease of use and build quality.

hope that helps
Yep, same as the one I have isn't it?

I had issues trying to find a supplier to get the CO2 from, but until I get one I've just ordered their 2000g bottle to keep me going.

hope that helps
Yep, same as the one I have isn't it?

I had issues trying to find a supplier to get the CO2 from, but until I get one I've just ordered their 2000g bottle to keep me going.

it is indeed, the glass diffuser arrived smashed though so I've got a rhinox 2000
I've read pub Co2 bottles fit, and as luck would have it I go to college in Burton-upon-Trent so I should be able to find one there. If not rumour has it dive shops will do refills so ill try one of them
:good:

it is indeed, the glass diffuser arrived smashed though so I've got a rhinox 2000
I've read pub Co2 bottles fit, and as luck would have it I go to college in Burton-upon-Trent so I should be able to find one there. If not rumour has it dive shops will do refills so ill try one of them
:good:
Wow nice tops there matey, I'll look out for one.

I ordered from the Germany company an external reactor, actually one that can handle up to 1000 litres :lol:

I installed it on the side of the aquarium and it looks the dog's nuts, only thing is the CO2 bottle died on me that evening :( So I haven't seen it in full action yet, but with that and the lily pipe I am so happy with it all.

Apart from the EI stuff I'll be getting soon that will be the end of the big expense for a while - phew!

Martin

Most reactions

Back