Anyone Using Vista Yet?

I have never had a problem with XP so maybe I will just stick with it. As for Mac... I just can't get into those things... I feel if I use one I need to be dressed like a metro sexual and be in a coffee shop in NYC. I do nothing with photography or anything like that so they have no selling points worth my while.
Nicely said! :lol:
I am still using XP, I have no reason to use anything else, All I ever do on the computer is go on the internet, or write reports for school.

I just have one question: What is linux? How does it work? What are its advantages and disadvantages?

I just have one question: What is linux? How does it work? What are its advantages and disadvantages?
Linux is a free operating system. Instead of paying 100s of £/$ whenever Mickey Mouse Soft feel you need new features to take up all your memory you pay nothing. Abosultely zilch. The operating system is written by people for free (often in their spare time).

Linux is very similary to the Unix system which runs most of the big business systems (think banks and the like) where the crapness of Mickey Mouse Soft would cost a fortune in down time. Mac OS software is based on the Linux Kernel as well.

The downside to Linux is that you need some computer understanding before you can install it (though there are plenty of guides) and many games will not run on it (though there is a pseudo-emulator called WINE that lets you run windows applications in linux).

The plus side is there are plenty of free applications to do pretty much everything you want. If you only use the computer for writing documents and browsing the net then you just use Open Office (free spreadhseets and word processor etc) and either Firefox or Opera.

The biggest plus side is that Linux is built from the ground up to be a very secure system. If you use one of the more friendly distros (I recommend Ubuntu) then the updating is handled for you.

If you ever seriously want to try it let me know. It is possible to have a dual boot system which can load both XP and Linux, depending on what you want to do (I started that way, but haven't booted XP for nearly a year now).

Edit--

More info is on wiki ;)

I used it solidly for the last two weeks. Last night saw the re-installation of Windows XP and I am very angry with myself for changing to Vista. I should have known how it would end, because it has always ended this way.

I'm a web developer and I recently forced myself to choose an OS - Windows or Linux. I tried Ubuntu solid for two weeks, then tried just Vista solid for two weeks, then chose... Vista. I have been working with Windows since 2.1. No one else I know even remembers that there was a 2.1. I have been using Linux and Unix for years too, no where near as long, but at least eight years now with some level of comfort and ability.

Vista is a memory hungry, great looking lump of an OS. It does nothing you ask it to, everything you don't want it to. It has hidden almost everything I am used to in Windows. It takes many more clicks to get to places that were previously easily accessed in Windows 2000 or XP. Its networking automatic configuration is nice - until it breaks, then its even worse to configure than XP.

I'm back on XP for now and this is actually slowing down two projects that I'm working on, and they aren't small contracts either!

Long story short: if you are willing to try something new and give it a chance, use Linux. Just download Linux. Install it after you install Windows and your dual boot will be fine. You need only minimal knowledge to get Linux installed properly.

I have had enough of Microsoft once again and for the last time. Vista breaks just as much as XP, it just looks better when it does. Any operating system that can be attacked through its mouse pointers is not anything I want to be a part of.

I went back to the dark side and regretted it.

Quickie Edit: You can use Vista for up to 30 days without a valid product key (just don't enter one) or activation. After that time you need to activate it... or at least find a way to stop the count down... hint hint ;) So if you come across a download anywhere then you can try it out.

Hmm.. Food for thought.

Long time since i have done anything with linux. I installed redhat once on a laptop that i had, and had all sorts of problems with finding compatible drivers. I'm not sure that many laptops had much in the way of support back then.

So.. to the linux people i have a few questions.

I currently have an old pentium III at home with only about 128mb of memory running windows 98. I have tried to get the thing working wirelessly (as 98 Second Edition is supposedly ok with that) and had a few problems. So my first question is, what is linux like with wireless support, and does it support a range of wireless hardware.

The main usage of this pc (which is currently nothing) would be for surfing, docs and images storage etc. so: ( i already use firefox)

Does open office provide inter-operability with MS Word ok?
Are there any easy to use image management tools (like picassa from google) for linux.? or should i use the windows apps thing to use picassa
What is the USB support for things like canon ixus cameras?
What sort of memory does linux require these days?
What version of linux is recommended. Functionality mixed with ease of use? (would need a simple GUI for the missus to use, as the idea behind this pc would be to give her something to use whilst i am using my work laptop.
Where can i download it?
What are the anti-virus and firewall tools like for linux (any recommendations)

Hopefully i'm still up to installing it ;-) perhaps i could go dual boot to avoid trashing my old win98 just in case?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Squid

So my first question is, what is linux like with wireless support, and does it support a range of wireless hardware.

I found it very good. It took about 2 days to get my wireless network up and running iwth XP. Took under 2 hours with Linux, and most of that was installing the OS. With each update it gets more and more compatible. If you have a pretty standardish wireless card I would wager you will have support.

Does open office provide inter-operability with MS Word ok?

It can save as *.doc if you want, though it tends not to get the formatting quite right. Ideally you want to open it in M$ Word to finalise the tabs and borders before sending to a pure M$ user (though M$ is gradually coming over to open formats,s o this will be a null point before long). If you print it yourself, then it is fine.

Are there any easy to use image management tools (like picassa from google) for linux.? or should i use the windows apps thing to use picassa

On this I cannot be perfectly sure, but I am 99% certain that for every windows app there is a free linux one (I recall there is a free program not too far off of photoshop for abilities to edit things).

What is the USB support for things like canon ixus cameras?

I have a Canon easy share. I had barely plugged it in before Ubuntu registered it, set up the drivers and asked which pics I wanted to download. It is quicker and easier than using the canon supplied software.

What sort of memory does linux require these days?

Depends what you want to do. It might take a while to boot, but Linux doesn't hold too much bloatware (though FF2 is a lot heavier on the memory than 1.5, so opera would probbly do you better). I have heard of people running P2s with 128MB of ram, though they take a little while to boot, they are ok when running.

What version of linux is recommended. Functionality mixed with ease of use? (would need a simple GUI for the missus to use, as the idea behind this pc would be to give her something to use whilst i am using my work laptop.

I would say go with Ubuntu. It is designed to be easy to use, and you can actually skin it so that most Outlook/Word/IE users wouldn't notice they are on Linux. Feisty Fawn looks quite nice, but is in Beta development still (dues out in a couple of weeks, so is

Where can i download it?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

What are the anti-virus and firewall tools like for linux (any recommendations)

Very good. Firestarter is a good firewall. Also, remember that Linux is designed from the ground up to be very secure so many of the problems of M$ are less of an issue.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of that.. Great help..

I googled linux picassa.. and as you expected.. i found it!!

I think i will give it a go soon then..!

Cheers
Squid

I'm not sure this is correct. OS X using the Mach kernel taken from NEXTSTEP, the version of BSD Unix used by NeXT computers. So it is perhaps more accurate to say Linux and OS X share the same UNIX roots, so they are more like cousins than siblings.

What is probably a fair comment is that both OS X and Linux are far more like one another than either is to Windows. Both have terminal windows, can run X Windows, can compile and run UNIX software, and so on. It is perfectly possible to run (natively, not in emulation) a Linux-style front-end like KDE or Gnome on OS X. You can even toggle between that and the OS X "Aqua" front-end if you want.

Of course, the difference is that OS X isn't free.

Cheers, Neale

Linux is very similary to the Unix system which runs most of the big business systems (think banks and the like) where the crapness of Mickey Mouse Soft would cost a fortune in down time. Mac OS software is based on the Linux Kernel as well.

Is partition magic still around and the best bet to start off with?

IN answer to the original question, I now have vista, it came on the new laptop and I have to say, 1gb RAM my ar5e!!!! It's ONLY a 2ghz CPU and 1Gb of RAM and damn it's pedestrian to say the least :rolleyes:

I am not prepared to shell out for another copy of XP and I do not have the choice of using Linux as this is a work machine and the financial software I use is only compatible with XP & finally vista :angry: I can also only use Office 2003, not even 97 or Open Office.

Quite simply though if you want vista and only have a 2ghz processor, even with the home basic version 1gb RAM is still not enough, I shudder to think what the Aero versions run like :blink: . Ignoring all the security issues, from a usabilty standpoint it is too resource hungry and not different enough to warrant an upgrade, if it comes bundled with a PC fair enough, but don't waste any cash upgrading :no:

Having said that, I uninstalled Norton which came with the laptop, like Vista wasn't slowing it down enough already, loaded ZOnealarm on (without checking to see if it's compatible :rolleyes: ) it promptly crashed when rebooting, Vista tried to recover itself, failed then automatically offered the system restore function, which sorted it out quickly and easily, so it's not all bad.

Arfie

nMonks: You're right, Mac OS was, back in the day, based on Unix. The similarities in the kernels are still very apparent, but in desktop apps the similarities have all but gone. Mac OS is awesome, UNIX is still essentially a command line surrounded by weak-bearded sys admins... I'm allowed to say this, I am one ;)

Arfie: Norton + Zone Alarm = instant death. They are both ostensibly good pieces of software, but any release after Norton 2005 is bloatware and is massively inefficient. Zone Alarm used to be the absolute best firewall, unarguably. They realized this and filled it with spy ware and also ruined the networking support as a consequence. I now use NOD Antivirus and Kiero Personal firewall and I am uberhappy with this combination. They are fast, efficient and catch enough to be safe. I try to stay away from major brand anti virus these days because they rely on information from M$ to code, and since early 2006 when M$ decided to make their own anti virus software in Windows Defender, they have been unsurprisingly unforthcoming when it comes to handing information over to the other AV developers. NOD (http://www.eset.com) is excellent, cant recommend it highly enough.

Ignoring all the security issues, from a usabilty standpoint it is too resource hungry and not different enough to warrant an upgrade

That is Vista all over. All form, not enough new working function to warrant the series of root canals that is changing operating system.

Squid: Partition magic is still around but if you are installing Vista or Linux you wont need it, as both come with fairly decent partition tools in the setup programs. If you use a large distro like RedHat you can even format a partition in FAT or NTFS while setting up Linux to leave room for Windows. If you want to dual boot, always install Windows first! Installing Linux after Windows means that LILO or GRUB (Linux boot loaders) can easily configure the operating systems. Microsoft recognises only MS products and will completely ignore a Linux installation, often indicating that the EXT3 formatted sections of your hard disk are unreadable or even unformatted. Bad MS.

I can't help but feel that this picture from B3ta is entirely apt right now:

1175789746.jpg

It took that long? Norton on the Mac was rubbish from about 1998 when they include something called "Crash Guard" that was meant to stop crashes but generally seemed to cause more crashes than ever before. (And let's face it, the original Mac OS didn't need the extra banana skins, it was quite capable of crashing at the most inopportune moments all by itself!)

I'm not even sure Norton for the Mac exists anymore. Good riddance, frankly. The odd thing was that the early versions were amazingly good and would last for years and years. I remember owning one Norton package that worked as well on an early Power Mac as it did on a Mac Plus, computers about 10 years apart in terms of technology and performance.

Cheers, Neale

Arfie: Norton + Zone Alarm = instant death. They are both ostensibly good pieces of software, but any release after Norton 2005 is bloatware and is massively inefficient.

I knew it was B3ta.com as soon as i saw all your ram ARE belong to us...

yay and woo.. humus and all that..

Squid

Most reactions

Back