Anyone Know What Cichlid This Is ?

a chocolate cichlid? you guys must be joking! far too many characteristics missing. shape and fins are all wrong even if its a female. its nearer a synspillum that a choco

Cichlasoma synspilum

Hypselecara temporalis

Vieja synspilum

i definitely see more of the H. temporalis than i do the C. synspilum or the V. synspilum

--EDIT I--

one important thing to note is that the fish in question has red eyes--that could be an easy way to narrow down the possibilities.

--EDIT II--
:drool: dig those red synspilums; teh sexy!

i stand corrected (man enough to admit when im wrong anyway) :hey:

Looks a little like a Rainbow Cichlid - Herotilapia multispinosa

Rainbow Cichlid

after viewing botht those links, he really is niether, but he may be a crossbreed with those genes ?
is that possible ?

+ someone posted the fish my lfs has, he WAS in a tank of cichlids, he had no label or price, they had no idea of what he was, someone brang him in because they were converting to marine and thats all the knew ( i checked with them )

what you guys think ?

lol i didnt think it looked much liuke the rainbow:S

would you guys like it better if i took some more pictures of him ?

sorry i havent got round to doing it, i shall post some pics on this thread tomorow :)
what sort of pics do you want of him ?

I concur. As others have said, there are actually several cichlids that are sold as "chocolate cichlids", but that fish appears to be Hypselecara temporalis. The problem is a lot of people muddle up that species with Hypselecara coryphaenoides, and you'll also see the name Cichlasoma hellabrunni used a lot, too, for either species. It was once thought these were all the same fish, but now Hypselecara coryphaenoides is apparently treated separately, as the Rio Negro chocolate cichlid.

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/Speci...ry.php?id=47067
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/Speci...ry.php?id=12323

Years ago, I kept these fish. Not especially aggressive in a big tank, and certainly you can mix them with catfish, silver dollars, and things like pike cichlids that keep themselves to themselves. They have an astounding ability to change colour, from red to yellow to green. No two specimens look the same.

Feed primarily on worms and insect larvae, but will eat small fish (neon tetras!) if no other options are available. There's a picture of your fish (though labelled as Hypselecara coryphaenoides), in Loiselle's "The Cichlid Aquarium", page 91.

Cheers,

Neale

i am confident it is a a Hypselecara temporalis aka Chocolate Cichlid

That is deff. a dominant male chocolate Cichlid. I use to work at a LFS and we had one just like that only blood red instead of orange. without a doubt that is a chocolate cichlid.

yeah hes defo dominant, even the 1 foot gar is scared of him :p
sorry guys bin busy and havent had the time to take the pics.
i will soon though :)

Most reactions

Back