Anymore fish?

Bettaloach

Reaction score
Pretty new to aquariums but I've been doing a ton of research. First tank is a 29 gallon planted aquarium. 3 java ferns, Amazon sword, dwarf grass, subwassertang, and ludwigia.

For fish I have a Betta, 8 endlers, 2 hillstream loaches, and a few shrimp that the Betta didn't eat. Everyone is getting along fine. I didn't add these all at once I've been adding over the last month or so.

I was thinking of adding something else, maybe khuli loaches or cories. I was also going to add another hillstream loach or two. Would that be too much?

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

The problem isn't with numbers per say but you do have some issues with the fish species you have. As you are new to aquariums I'll start by mentioning that each species of freshwater fish has evolved to function in a very specific environment. Here, environment includes water parameters (GH, pH, temperature), water flow, habitat specifics. When the fish is maintained outside of its preferences, it has issues involving stress and health. Often these are not seen, but they are there, and eventually the fish will succumb.

Temperature. Hillstream Loaches require cooler water, room temperature is fine, in the range of 60-74F/20-24C. Thebetta needs warmer water, and the Endler is in the same range, 75-86F/24-30C. Fish are ectotherms, they do not produce internal heat but rely of the water temperature. And temperature drives the fish's metabolism, which affects several physiological functions. It is extremely important.

The GH and pH is not mentioned, and you have soft water fish and moderately hard water, so this could be an issue depending upon the numbers.

Betta are not community fish. And having one in with Endlers may not last long. The loaches need a strong filter current, something the betta would find very disturbing. Here is some information on the loaches.

I would remove the Hillstream loaches asap. They want a strong flow because they’re from cool rapids and fast flowing streams that have a lot of oxygen. Bettas are from warm/hot, slow to still waters with not much oxygen, two opposite environments. The loaches will be stressed.
And a Betta is like a ticking time bomb with tank mates. It could go off at any time and often does.

Would agree with the above, you have fish with different needs, they may not show any outward signs of stress but fish release pheromones so they pick up on stuff we can't.

If possible I would start by putting the betta in his own smaller tank (they don't need loads of space and it will be happier on its own) and go from there. If you can tell us your water hardness then people can suggest some suitable additions and whether you need to rehome any of your existing fish.

We have all been misadvised about what fish can go together so it's not the end of the world but there are some steps you need to consider for the benefit of your fish.

Would agree with the above, you have fish with different needs, they may not show any outward signs of stress but fish release pheromones so they pick up on stuff we can't.

If possible I would start by putting the betta in his own smaller tank (they don't need loads of space and it will be happier on its own) and go from there. If you can tell us your water hardness then people can suggest some suitable additions and whether you need to rehome any of your existing fish.

We have all been misadvised about what fish can go together so it's not the end of the world but there are some steps you need to consider for the benefit of your fish

We have all been misadvised about what fish can go together so it's not the end of the world but there are some steps you need to consider for the benefit of your fish.
Tested the hardness yesterday and the GH is 9 and the KH is 19 so pretty hard. I do have an RO system so I could change that.

I am new to this and have been reading and watching a lot of different things. When it comes to water parameters, I thought it was important to keep the fish at what they are use to. These are not wild caught fish. They have been born and raised relatively local and I'm guessing they are probably just using tap water as well.

I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon that the Betta could go in near my desk. Need to get some more plants first.

So far all the fish look a lot brighter and healthier than when I got them. That is why I was considering a few more but don't want to over crowd the tank.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Tested the hardness yesterday and the GH is 9 and the KH is 19 so pretty hard. I do have an RO system so I could change that.

I am new to this and have been reading and watching a lot of different things. When it comes to water parameters, I thought it was important to keep the fish at what they are use to. These are not wild caught fish. They have been born and raised relatively local and I'm guessing they are probably just using tap water as well.

I am in the process of setting up a 10 gallon that the Betta could go in near my desk. Need to get some more plants first.

So far all the fish look a lot brighter and healthier than when I got them. That is why I was considering a few more but don't want to over crowd the tank.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Each fish species has evolved to function in very specific water parameters. They also have environmental needs, like the water currents previously mentioned. These needs are part of the genetic blueprint for the species. We cannot change them. The topic of further evolution is far too broad for here.

Before getting any fish, you need to decide what sort of aquarium you want. Obviously the Hillstream Loaches with their lower temperatures and strong water currents from the filter will not suit most tropical fish (and I would question they are locally bred). Moving the Betta is a wise move that will help it.

The Endlers and Hillstream Loaches are fine for the GH and pH. The Endlers need it more "tropical" in temperature, higher than these loaches. Temperature is significant as long-term it drives the fish's metabolism and several physiological processes.

Most reactions

Back