Any idea what these are???

on the zoomed picture, some eggs have a darker ( more opaque ) spot... assuming these are fertile, & the ones without, didn't get fertilized???

are they a little stuck to the algae ball, so that if I picked up the ball, the eggs would stay with it???

I've been setting up a little "tank" my Sister bought my mom ( it's at my house right now ) but is not cycled... it's only about 2 gallons, but I have a little air pump, & a few micro sponge filters... I could move the marimo ball, with the eggs to this tank... could fill that one with rain water or bottled spring water, if it tested better than the water they are in...

probably time to get that brine shrimp hatcher going :)

Female rainbowfish scatter a small number (5-50) of eggs each day for a period of time. If conditions are good, the females can produce eggs each day for months. The males fertilise the eggs as they are laid. The eggs are normally scattered among plants like Java Moss or the roots of Water Sprite.

Corydoras lay eggs in clusters on hard flat surfaces like glass. They don't normally lay eggs in plants like Java Moss but there are exceptions. Swordplants and other broad leaf plants may be used by Cories instead of glass.

If you have more than one species of rainbowfish in the tank, do not collect the eggs, lust let them die. Rainbowfish will hybridise and produce fertile offspring. These are unwanted.

Thanks, it was never my intention to breed them just looking for a colorful tank so the females are needed for the males to show off... my Madagascar's are really supreme right now... I figured if the other 3 kinds would catch up in maturity, the tank would be quite a sight... almost as bright and varied as an African tank

I didn’t get them out before I left for work today, and someone ate them all… but I did look at the Cory’s after some reading, I’d guess I have at least 1 female, and 2 males… thinking there is a 4th that always has been hanging around the big cave on the other side of the tank, and I didn’t see it at the same time as the other 3

I did see the 4th Cory last night, but they are so active it's really hard to try to sex them, & keep track of which ones I'd looked at

Most reactions

Back