Any idea what these are???

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
In my most mature tank, but full of assorted rainbow fish, most are Juvenal… sure looks like eggs to me????

BTW... this is the corner I put feed in, so they all kind of hang close... those are supposed to be the yellow Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi rainbow fish in the 1st picture, so you can see those are no where near mature

Attachments

• IMG_4128.jpeg
    IMG_4128.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4127.jpeg
    IMG_4127.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Just added the balls 2-3 weeks ago… I have a Java moss mat that I expected to see something like this, someday… most of the fish don’t have mature colors yet… I have 4 Madagascar's that are most mature… the cave seems too small for the rainbows… there is a Apistogramma Cacatuoides pair in the tank as well, and I set up this cave for them, but they have been in the big cave on the opposite side of the tank

Last edited:
no nerite snails in that tank... I do have an assortment of mystery snails in that tank though

going to have to read up on, breeding rainbows... maybe immature females start scattering eggs like chickens???

if spawning rainbows, are egg scatterers & the males go around & fertilize them, they are likely not fertile, being where they settled... not sure how that process happens with rainbows... been reading up on the Tilapia, & those are mouth brooders... pretty sure the rainbows don't have big enough mouths to do that... so whether they pile the eggs up in a nest, or scatter???

Last edited:
wanted to get a better look at this picture, so this is from the picture hosting site...

Last edited:
yes, 3-4 cory's if I remember correctly they are agassizi's... & they are pretty mature now... they were probably at 1/2 inch long, when I got them, maybe 9 months ago... they are active, chubby little 2 inchers right now...

yes, 3-4 cory's if I remember correctly they are agassizi's... & they are pretty mature now... they were probably at 1/2 inch long, when I got them, maybe 9 months ago... they are active, chubby little 2 inchers right now...
Yep, cory eggs...

so... should I remove those balls to preserve the eggs???

I thought the water was pretty hard... the rainbows are OK with that... thought the cory's were only putting up with it... surprised, if they are mating...

Last edited:
Thinking I may need a nano tank... or something like a 10 gallon, in an easier to work on, location... I do have a pair of 30 gallon tanks, that are currently empty, but they are built in, under my bigger tanks, & were originally for a single easy to care for fish... not something I want to raise fry in, or move eggs into, if we are going to be making babies... ( making babies was not my original intention on my aquarium fish )

will be trying my hand at breeding Tilapia over the winter... so maybe I'll get the hang of it, between the Tilapia, & the egg layers in my aquariums...

this is actually kind of cool... I've had live bearers before, but never bred anything that was an egg layer ( well I had some mouth brooders breed, but they seemed like live bearers, as I never really saw the eggs, only the fry )... so even if these are not fertile, still pretty cool to me...

Last edited:
so... should I remove those balls to preserve the eggs???

I thought the water was pretty hard... the rainbows are OK with that... thought the cory's were only putting up with it... surprised, if they are mating...
The moss balls?...if so, no need to remove them

Rainbows scatter their eggs. I breed them using spawning mops. But the eggs are quite small. I doubt that's what they are, unless your camera lense is really good.

well... the picture is zoomed as high as it would go... algae balls are about 1.5 inches in diameter

Most reactions

Back