Antlers in tank?

Wolfdog

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey i just had this idea pop into my head...

Could i put a deer or elk antler into my fish tank? Of course i know i will fully clean it up and everything, Probably bake it too?

Just wondering, i think it would look pretty cool in my new 55gal.

Wolf

Don't see why not cos I suppose its bone (I think)
Might be a bit controversial though having part of a dead animal on display.

I'd say no. They're made of calcium (or at least, contain it) so will dissolve over time and cause a pH change. But, ask someone clever :)

i believe that the horns are similiar or made from hair,

so check this out,

not sure as to whether it would effect the water conditions tho,

maybe test it in a bucket or spare tank for a week? and monitor the water?

id say no too.....theyre calcium
do the vinager test
boil t and put it in a bucket and monitor the water for afew weeks if nothing changes thenu can proberbly put it on

I was under the impression they were made from hair too! hmm

If calcium, I'd say no
If hair, I don't see why not :p

OK, did some quick research and this is what I found:

"An antler is made of bone, has branches, falls off in the spring and re-grows in the fall.
A horn has a core of bone arising from the skull covered by hardened skin (keratin - the same protein that forms hooves and hair). They are never shed and are not branched like antlers.
Mammals that have antlers are mule deer, moose, and other deer.
Mammals that have horns are sheep, goats, and cattle."

"Antlers are outgrowths of bone that are a part of the skull".
"Growing antlers have a fuzzy covering on them called "velvet." Velvet is like skin because it has nerves and blood vessels running through it. "

I would not use either in a tank.

Some animals have horns made from hair, such as Rhinos, and some have horns made from... er... horn which is mostly bone and therefore mostly calcium phosphate.
Antlers are a variation on the latter type, but more bony

Unless the antlers are very well seasoned, they will also contain a lot of organic material within the structure that would rot and foul the water.

I'd say don't risk it.

quintessential said:
Actually elk and deer shed their antlers frequently. So it's probably not part of a dead animal, but a cast-off part of a living one!

Samage said:
quintessential said:
Actually elk and deer shed their antlers frequently. So it's probably not part of a dead animal, but a cast-off part of a living one!
yea and sometimes they even break eachothers antlers off... ouch :blink:

Hmmm....

Maybe ill test around with some of the antlers laying around at our house.

Dont want to offend anyone or start a big thread on hunting or whatever, but the antlers i have come from the deer/elk ive hunted... sorry guys :sad:

ANYWAY ill try some stuff see how it works out :D

EDIT FOR MY IDEA...

OK i think i thought of sumthing i could do... to test...

In the 55 its just cycling, could i put in which ever antler i choose for about a week or whatever and see what the changes are? if any? Id test the PH and all.

If there is no change, would it be ok? and if there is a change in PH, how much change is too much bad change?

And if the PH fluctuates too much could i just take the antler out and would the water go back to normal?

Thanx for the help guys ;)

Wolf

Like bloozoo said it's abit dodgy...just 'cos there's no pH change it doesn't mean that the antler hasn't leached any other substances into your tank.

You'd have to carry out a few water changes for the pH to return to normal (if it did change).

Well i talked to my Dad and he had a set of deer antlers that this old guy gave us that i could use.

He said they are at least 30 some years old. Is this what u were getting at SirMinion? as in "well seasoned"?

Im boiling them now, then ill try baking, and then ill put them in some water or sumthing forra while.

Wolf

I thought deer antlers were the same substance as human fingernails?

Anyway, it seems like it's a risk. There may be a biological breakdown that leaches ammonia or other biological products into the tank. There may also be a lot of calcium in them. Other unforseen problems may arise as well. Personally I'm very interested to see if this works. Please keep us informed!

Most reactions

Back