another filter question

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
in my 10 gal molly tank i currently have one of those filters thats a plastic box with sponge things inside. not real sophisticated, but it was good starter. now i want something a little more powerful and that will actually filter better. any suggestions? don't want anything too big or expensive (thinking the $20 or less range). need something that will still create a current (the fish like to play), isn't going to be super noisy (boyfriend has already banned fish tanks from the bedroom), and won't take up much room in the tank (currently located in a corner of the tank). thanks!!!! :)

Personally I think you'd be fine with the filter you've got, just with a more powerful air pump on it. There's a lot of nonsense talked about filters IMHO - many of them are over-engineered rubbish.

I've heard good things about those biowheel filters, but we can't get them over here so I can't say for sure.

i second that. stick with the filter you have. bio wheels are a pain in the butt. if you have gravel in there u dont need a bio wheel. using airstones really helps circulation.

Try a Penguin Mini. Bio-wheel filter that's about $22 at the major retailers like Petsmart. I live in the Phoenix metrolpolitan area so you should be able to fine it for about the same. I don't actually own one, but have a couple of bio-wheel based filters and they do work well.

-Curtiss

I have a whisper 20 on my daughters 10g. It works great it is really quiet and pretty inexpensive under $20.00us. You could get a whisper 10 that is rated 5 - 10G. They are less then $15.00us. It is also inexpensive to run and you can change the media in the bio bag. The replacements come with carbon that you dump in yourself. I use the carbon, but you could leave it out or put whatever you want in there.

Moe said:
I have a whisper 20 on my daughters 10g.
I have a Whisper filter on each of my aquariums (five gallon and ten gallon). I'm quite happy with them. They're easy to set up and maintain and they're almost noiseless. I can't hear them at all, even when everything else in the room is turned off.

Pamela
aka Lizard

Most reactions

Back