Another Compatibilty Question...

Jen_S

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Scenario: 46 gal bow front tank
2 angels (still juvenile) not sure if m/f
1 m/f pair of Bolivian rams

Would they be compatible with a pair or trio (not sure which is best) of blue rams?

I have tetras (red serpae and diamond), cory cats, farlowella, otos, 2 bamboo shrimp. I have 3 2 inch flying fox in there as well but they are going back to the fish store hopefully tomorrow (I had no idea size or temperament until after I brought them home).

The angels stay mid to upper except at feeding time. The bolivian rams have set up shop mainly on the right hand side of the tank. I got the Bolivians, because the petstore had no blues. If I can't get the blues, I won't I just wasn't sure if this tank would be large enough to give all their own territory.

Thanks!!

I personally would get 1 more female Bolivian ram. I'm not sure how well it will go over with 2 male rams, and 1 female. I have heard trios don't go very well, and the Bolivian may want to mate with the female German, anyways someone else may say otherwise.

BTW don't be afraid if you wake up one day, and have no shrimp.

The shrimp are pretty big, they also stay at the back at the tip of the driftwood.
I'm unclear as to what you meant about more than one female, though maybe I wasn't clear in my question. I currently have the Bolivian rams (exhibiting some spawning behaviour and guarding their rock). There are also currently 2 angels but they are juvies. Since posting, I've read the info sheet on blue rams and it recommends a m/f pair. I would like to add a m/f pair. Would you still recommend adding a second female for a trio of either species and if so, blues or Bolivians?

I personally would get 1 more female Bolivian ram. I'm not sure how well it will go over with 2 male rams, and 1 female. I have heard trios don't go very well, and the Bolivian may want to mate with the female German, anyways someone else may say otherwise.

BTW don't be afraid if you wake up one day, and have no shrimp.
No! I had a male ram with two females and one of the females killed him, becauce he pairde up with the other female.

Yes, you can add a pair of blue rams in there, esp if you have a lot of groundwork which will help delineate the territories.

Argh. Sorry. I guess you guys didn't understand what I meant. What I thought, was just be careful, because the Bolivian Ram may want to spawn with the female German Blue Ram. 2 males and 1 female is bad news, so I suggested that instead of the female and male German Blue Ram, to just go buy a female Bolivian. But whatever, I would go with Parker313, he is very good :good:

Thanks for the clarification DiscusLova. If Blue rams wouldn't have worked, I would have left things as they are as everyone seems happy and live I said the Bolivian rams have already paired off.

Here is a picture of my rams :) Thank's for the advice guys! I may get a pair later today or later this week :) I'm going to ask the lfs if I can take the flying fox back (I had no idea they got so big and are not very nice) and my 3 baby mollies are going to their new home tomorrow. I think I should have room then.

Very nice tank! The fish are cool too. What color are they really? They look kind of purple in the pic.

Most reactions

Back