Another 2nd floor aquarium weight question to add to the pile (I brought pictures at least lol)

I was lucky when I went house hunting, my father-in-law was a carpenter and home builder and he came along and checked the houses, He would find all sorts of issues with the houses we looked at, He gave our current house a thumbs up with just minor issues easily fixed. I have helped him with some building . Looking at what you have as far as load bearing I would have some concerns. Also your house is made of particle board (walls and floors) I would try and seal the particle board around where you are planning on putting an aquarium; If it is not sealed it will soak up water like a sponge and the glue holding it together will break down over time.

Last edited:
I fully understand, I was the idiot who bought an old house built before they had proper building codes in my mid-20's, the building inspector we hired was useless.

What can you do if the cost of the house plus remodeling far exceeds the value of the house? What option do low income families have on fixing up their houses? After a plumber tried to rip me off, I learn how to do it myself and corrected the majority of issues. In the end, my work was on par with professionals.

I sleep well at night knowing the house is in far better shape than when I bought it.
I feel your pain. Ours is 1938 built. It’s not quite what I thought on buying. It wouldn’t be allowed now.

And the timbers on top of the 2by10? Those are what I would like to see as 2by6 over that span.

Apologies for the late reply. Back at work the past few days and its killed me lol. Well as far as what's on top of the joists for flooring? I checked and its plywood so Ill definitely be putting a large/thick/tough sheet of something under it. Ive done a tone of research at this point and it seems like if you're placing it in the correct part of the room, you don't have to worry until over about 125 gallons. Just in case though I'm installing a jack post that holds up to 11,500lbs underneath it in the garage. I really appreciate the input!

Sure them 2by4 aren't 2by6? That would make me happier.

Again just to say I am not familiar with US codes, some of your wiring stuff makes me shudder, if you have doubts ask a contractor to pass their eye over it.
Oh I see what you mean. The theyre also 2 x9s or 2 x10s. I pointed an arrow at the center collum in the pic but the other white lines on top are also the 2x9s

Attachments

• boards.jpg
    boards.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 86
To increase the strength of the joist, you can cut 3/4" plywood into strips and glue them to the exist joist. This is an easy project and very effective.

You can also nail/screw 2x6s between the joist, this will help to distribute the load to more joists and the wall.

Personally I believe you will be fine without any modification. You are putting a tank centered on a load bearing beam which is perfect! The beam is 3 2x10's supported 3 2x4s, who ever built your house knew what they were doing! The weight difference between a 75 gallon and 40 gallon tank is 300 lbs which is not a major difference. I would go with the 75 gallon tank.

They don't build houses like the old days and thank god for that. New houses are far superior compared to the majority of old houses.
Thanks for the input! I think Itll be fine as well. Since its an easy install, I'm going to put a jack post underneath in the garage just to give me piece of mind

Thanks for the input! I think Itll be fine as well. Since its an easy install, I'm going to put a jack post underneath in the garage just to give me piece of mind

Just a reminder, most of the stress on a beam comes in the middle of the span ie: leverage.

Another issue, have you thought about running plumbing to the tank? For my 75 gallon I am currently setting up, instead of buying a $80 Python water change system, I just connect house plumbing. No 5 gallon bucket water changes for me.

I mention this since you do have access to your garage which may make easier.

Agreed. If they’re 9x2 or similar they’re good. Without knowing the insulation thickness it was hard to say.

How long has the insulation been uncovered?
Wouldn’t be allowed over here. No completion certificates given thus home insurance is invalid. The fire service got sick of it falling on their heads while on fire when they are risking their own lives to save the lives of home owners and their kids, old infirm parents, grand parents, pets etc etc.

No completion certificates given thus home insurance is invalid.

The wonderful thing about USA, we have a vast array of building codes to choose from :)

Typically your local government controls building codes which are derived from codes developed by the state government. So your local government could create codes more restrictive but cannot overrule state codes.

To create building codes on a Federal level would require specific laws passed by congress. This could be challenged in courts since our Constitution relegates this powers to the States. This is why many laughed at Trump when tried to override the State governments and demand that churches should open, he does not have that power.

In my area, common walls between the garage and house must be covered drywall (not sure about plywood) and garage insulated walls would require drywall.

The wonderful thing about USA, we have a vast array of building codes to choose from :)

Typically your local government controls building codes which are derived from codes developed by the state government. So your local government could create codes more restrictive but cannot overrule state codes.

To create building codes on a Federal level would require specific laws passed by congress. This could be challenged in courts since our Constitution relegates this powers to the States. This is why many laughed at Trump when tried to override the State governments and demand that churches should open, he does not have that power.

In my area, common walls between the garage and house must be covered drywall (not sure about plywood) and garage insulated walls would require drywall.
The only way that would be exempt from having to be covered are if the access stairs are in their own fire rated enclosure and have a seperate entry from the garage, or an external staircase, but if it was my timber construction garage and would insulate the walls and then plasterboard the whole lot.

would insulate the walls and then plasterboard the whole lot.

Agreed.

I prefer my seperate garage instead of an attached structure which I use as a shop in warm weather and can still put one car in it during the winter. If I awoke and saw my garage on fire, I would calmly try to secure any cars parked in the driveway than call the fire department in hopes that everything is destroyed! A new garage with new tools would be nice.

Awwwh man don’t get me started on attached garages in four story central London homes with basements going down as many floors again with swimming pools at the bottom!

Place I last lived in London the basement level used to be street level. And the previous basement was sealed up, we also had to go from 2 story living at the top of the building to single story due to lack of fire escapes. (Ground and 1st was one premesis, 3rd and 4th had to abandon 4th.)
All those basement flats that became death traps before the barrier went up too.

Just a reminder, most of the stress on a beam comes in the middle of the span ie: leverage.

Another issue, have you thought about running plumbing to the tank? For my 75 gallon I am currently setting up, instead of buying a $80 Python water change system, I just connect house plumbing. No 5 gallon bucket water changes for me.

I mention this since you do have access to your garage which may make easier.
Ive thought about that. There's a sink in the garage already so that may have to happen for sure. For now I'm stuck with buckets lol

Most reactions

Back