Angel in Trouble?

RZS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Seems one of my Angels has developed a problem where it stays at either mid or bottom of the tank, in one corner all the time.

It also seems to be having trouble turning (it has no difficulty remaining upright though). Basically, whenever it trys to turn, it seems that the body bends, and it begins to sink towards the bottom. And to make matters worse, it has not eaten in the last two days (when I discovered the problem).

For the record, water tested good... no ammonia, nitrites, and minimal nitrates.

Any suggestions for such a vague question?

Thanks again in advance.

P.S. Oh, they (three Angels) have been in this tank for over 6 months now without any issue (compatibility etc.) and behaved normally (in fact the other 2 don't show any issues at all). In a 55 gallon tank.

Is the belly area swollen, are scales sticking out like a pinecomb.

Wilder said:
Is the belly area swollen, are scales sticking out like a pinecomb.
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Not that I can see. It's body looks normal, but there may be some clamping of the left fin?

RZS

It might be fin-rot :blink:

I could be wrong though as I am new to this.

Clamp fins are a sign of stress and illness, I would try anti internal bacteria med on the fish, can you issolate the fish for treatment.

jbatt said:
It might be fin-rot :blink:

I could be wrong though as I am new to this.
I hope not, but I have begun a melafix treatment just in case.

It seemed to come on so suddenly.

Thanks for your input.

;)

Wilder said:
Clamp fins are a sign of stress and illness, I would try anti internal bacteria med on the fish, can you issolate the fish for treatment.
Hi,

I was wondering about the clamped fin, but since it was only the one fin on the left side, would that be the case, or should it be clamping more than the one side? (Pardon the newbie question)

It almost looks as though it can't control one side of it's fin, and as a result, it cannot turn/move properly.

Oh... I have no tank to isolate it in at the moment, I have a 10 gallon with Molly fry in it, and a 20 with Serpae tetras and Platys. What size tank would be the minimum to house it in temporarily?

Thanks again.

If the fish is in the corner it may be the one at the bottom of the pecking order. I have noticed fish in this level are suseptable to problems. Fish dont always beat their competition to death. Mind games maybe. This can sometimes result in fish giving up the will to live and wasting away. It could have a bacterial infection in the swim bladder as this would affect the posture/position of the fish. However this would not cause the clamped pectoral fin.
I too would try melafix as the first treatment. I personally think you have more than one problem possibly all caused by the first line of this reply.
Sometimes isolating the fish can be the final stress nail in the coffin.

Incidently I have lost my male angel last weeks. The male in a breeding pair. :-( That was in a tank with its mate. It too lost its boyancy. I treted with melafix with no joy. I tried myxazin and protazin over the 5 weeks it took to die. After the first week of seeing something wrong the fish was litterally unable to get off its side, laying flush to the bottom of the tank.

Work that one out. I could not. :lol:

These things are sent to test us. :lol:

fishman 1 said:
If the fish is in the corner it may be the one at the bottom of the pecking order. I have noticed fish in this level are suseptable to problems. Fish dont always beat their competition to death. Mind games maybe. This can sometimes result in fish giving up the will to live and wasting away. It could have a bacterial infection in the swim bladder as this would affect the posture/position of the fish. However this would not cause the clamped pectoral fin.
I too would try melafix as the first treatment. I personally think you have more than one problem possibly all caused by the first line of this reply.
Sometimes isolating the fish can be the final stress nail in the coffin.

Incidently I have lost my male angel last weeks. The male in a breeding pair. :-( That was in a tank with its mate. It too lost its boyancy. I treted with melafix with no joy. I tried myxazin and protazin over the 5 weeks it took to die. After the first week of seeing something wrong the fish was litterally unable to get off its side, laying flush to the bottom of the tank.

Work that one out. I could not. :lol:

These things are sent to test us. :lol:

You may have a point, since this fish WAS the top of the pecking order. Then my other Angel grew larger, and it became clearly the leader. Recently, the smallest Angel (I have three) has been growing quite a bit, almost as large as the first one (the former leader).

That being said, the second Angel often guards the first Angel (which is now sick) from the other fish.

I don't know what to do other than treat the tank, and leave the rest to destiny.

Thanks for your help.

:unsure:

I've had a few angels behave that way. Seems it was caused by the same parasite that causes HITH. Treated with metronodazole, 30 mg per gallon with daily 50% water changes. Sprinkle a bit on some frozen brine shrimp too. Even if they just mouth it & spit it out, that seemed to be the point where the began to recover. Bring up the temperature over a 24 hour period to 88-90F. Don't let the temp scare you, angels can handle higher than that, as long as it is gradual. I've had them as high as 94F due to a cheap heater, no ill effects whatsoever. Make sure to increase the aeration though, the warmer the water is, the less O2 it can hold. One of the fish I cured is the female of a breeding pair of silvers, glad she made it, she is really starting to pay off.

A 10 gallon tank would probably be fine as a med tank for an angel with standard fins, veils would need a 20 tall.

Tolak

Tolak said:
I've had a few angels behave that way. Seems it was caused by the same parasite that causes HITH. Treated with metronodazole, 30 mg per gallon with daily 50% water changes. Sprinkle a bit on some frozen brine shrimp too. Even if they just mouth it & spit it out, that seemed to be the point where the began to recover. Bring up the temperature over a 24 hour period to 88-90F. Don't let the temp scare you, angels can handle higher than that, as long as it is gradual. I've had them as high as 94F due to a cheap heater, no ill effects whatsoever. Make sure to increase the aeration though, the warmer the water is, the less O2 it can hold. One of the fish I cured is the female of a breeding pair of silvers, glad she made it, she is really starting to pay off.

A 10 gallon tank would probably be fine as a med tank for an angel with standard fins, veils would need a 20 tall.

Tolak
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Are you saying that I should stop the Melafix treatment, and go with metronodazole instead?

And what would trigger the parasite so suddenly?

You can go with the melafix along with the metro, it can't hurt. The Hexamita parasite is found in many fishes intestines, and they get by just fine as long as their immune system keeps it under control. Sort of like the bacteria in humans intestines.
Usually it is set off by some sort of stress, if you have 2 other angels in the tank they may be pairing off & showing some aggression. Since it is already there in a controlled amount, it can take off pretty quickly. 2 days without eating means you caught it at an early stage. Sometimes it takes a week or 2 for them to get back on a regular diet, but they do ok not eating for a week.

Tolak

Tolak said:
You can go with the melafix along with the metro, it can't hurt. The Hexamita parasite is found in many fishes intestines, and they get by just fine as long as their immune system keeps it under control. Sort of like the bacteria in humans intestines.
Usually it is set off by some sort of stress, if you have 2 other angels in the tank they may be pairing off & showing some aggression. Since it is already there in a controlled amount, it can take off pretty quickly. 2 days without eating means you caught it at an early stage. Sometimes it takes a week or 2 for them to get back on a regular diet, but they do ok not eating for a week.

Tolak
Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

:)

Most reactions

Back