Angel Fish Seems . . . Constipated? *pics*

tweedamay

Reaction score
AngelFish001Squiggey1.jpg

AngelFish009Squiggey2.jpg

This is Squiggey. He is hanging out at the top of the tank. He has a pretty good sized bulge to his belly. I've "circled" the area. I tried to get a good pic, but its kinda a hard thing to do. I've gone thru the list of fish illnesses and have come up with nothing. :rolleyes: He doesn't seem to have a problem with balance, either.

I appreciate your help!

Never mind. I just found him at the bottom of the tank. DH did a little "autopsy" and found that the bulge was an air pocket.

This is very upsetting as we have had him since he was nickel sized.

I checked the water and all levels are safe.

We'd still like to know what caused his death. Other than the 2 symptoms mentioned above, everything was normal on him. Fins, scales and eyes looked good. **sigh**

Sorry R.I.P. if he was at the top of the tank and by what you said nothing could of saved him any way, sounds like a bacterial infection, sorry.

Looks like popeye as well as they are bulging out. Bacterial infections are common for angels not kept in the best quality of water and he also looked like his eyes were cloudy.
I notice theres an undergravel filter, any other filter?
Did you regularly test for ammonia and nitrites and what size tank, tank mates and cleaning schedule did you have?
Sorry you lost your fish, he looked really nice as well

Looks like popeye as well as they are bulging out. Bacterial infections are common for angels not kept in the best quality of water and he also looked like his eyes were cloudy.

No. No popeye. They weren't cloudy either. I think the photo might have deceived you a bit.

Yes, we have a regular power filter. (I've never been particulary fond of this filter, but it still works ok. I'll replace it when it dies)

Did you regularly test for ammonia and nitrites and what size tank, tank mates and cleaning schedule did you have?

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc. levels are all good, as always. Tank is plenty big (55g) for the fish I have. I've had the same fish for the last year. No newbies for quite some time. I wouldn't say that I have a cleaning "schedule", but I keep it nice and clean. *correction*- I keep it clean, but not so clean as to remove beneficial bacteria.

Thank you so much. He really was a lovely fish.

What was you feeding him?

I feed tropical flakes, tropical crumbles and bloodworms(on occasion). This is what I've always given my fish.

Maybe he got bloat. Can come from over feeding or not the cleanest of water conditions.
Sorry to hear about your angel.

Overfeeding isn't really a prob here, nor is the water in poor condition. Thanks for the thought, though.

Sorry R.I.P. if he was at the top of the tank and by what you said nothing could of saved him any way, sounds like a bacterial infection, sorry.

Thank you!

I thought of pop eye to :unsure:

Popeye is a symptom of a kidney bacterial problem. Basically fluid accumulates in the brain and pushes one or both eyes outwards. Its common to see it with abdominal swelling.

Most reactions

Back