Ammonia

lym

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get ammonia from in England for cycling my new tank?

Thanks!

Any good pet store. Try Pets@Home if you must, theres one in almost every city. My city cardiff has 2!

I got mine from Boots as Household ammonia, very cheap and works well - you can also get a pippette (sp?) from behind the chemist area all for a few quid!

Boots - as stated labelled Household Ammonia in a plain blue & white bottle.

I'm pretty sure my Pets @home store doesnt stock it - its not a pet item (ps I'm in cardiff too)

I got mine from Homebase.. about £2.49 and should be enough to cycle a lake. (well i exagerate a bit, but more than enough for a ruddy long cycle in my tank)

Cheers
Squid

500ml bottle from Boots was £1.79 and the pipette about 60p I think.

Going to get some from Boots next week, managed to get 10 pipette's on ebay today for £2 including P&P.

Thanks for your help everyone! :good:

I got some today, just want to check it's the right one before I start to put it in the tank. It says on the bottle:

Contains Ammonia Solution 9.5% W/W

260207005.jpg

I got some today, just want to check it's the right one before I start to put it in the tank. It says on the bottle:

260207005.jpg

Yep - that should do the trick. Check the ingrediants if it has any to make sure there is no other chemicals in there though.

Yep - that should do the trick. Check the ingrediants if it has any to make sure there is no other chemicals in there though.

All it says is..

Doesn't say anything else but instructions on how to use it.

All it says is..

Doesn't say anything else but instructions on how to use it.

Yep, that looks fine to me. Good luck with the cycling.

Any idea how you dose this stuff? Or it is a case of add a load and test the water to see what ppm you get?

Sam

Any idea how you dose this stuff? Or it is a case of add a load and test the water to see what ppm you get?

Sam

That was going to be my next question, I'm just filling my tank up now. How much do I need to add and do I add this amount each day?? My tank holds 100 litres.

Another question...

It says on the bottle to make sure it's not in contact with skin. Will I be ok to put my hand in the tank while it's cycling, because I still need to get plants/ornaments yet. I'm guessing it would be ok since it's diluted??

Sam

That was going to be my next question, I'm just filling my tank up now. How much do I need to add and do I add this amount each day?? My tank holds 100 litres.

Another question...

It says on the bottle to make sure it's not in contact with skin. Will I be ok to put my hand in the tank while it's cycling, because I still need to get plants/ornaments yet. I'm guessing it would be ok since it's diluted??

Check out the article on fishless cycling: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

My 56L tank requires around 50 drops of ammonia to take it up to the 5ppm range so I would imagine being that your tank is 100L should take around 90-100 drops to get up to the same reading. My ammonia is the same concentration as yours so that should be a fairly well educated estimate. You are fine to put your hand in the tank, just make sure you wash your hands before putting them in the tank and then wash them when they are out of the tank. You don't want anymore other pollutants in the tank now do you?

Most reactions

Back