Ammonia smell

Lunyone

Reaction score
I have a 29 and a 36 gallon tanks. I just tested both for ammonia. Both are zero ammonia. Why do I smell ammonia?

It could be another source. It could also be the filter media that might need a good rinse.

What kind of ammonia test are you using? Tests can expire and become less accurate.

Do you have fish in your tank? If you have enough ammonia to smell it, they'd probably be dead. So I too wonder if you're smelling something else.

What kind of ammonia test are you using? Tests can expire and become less accurate.

Do you have fish in your tank? If you have enough ammonia to smell it, they'd probably be dead. So I too wonder if you're smelling something else.
I am figuring it is probably the filter media. I am doing a partial water change in the morning. Also is it ok to take 50 percent of the biologicals and replace with new?

I'd replace no more than one third, unless the tank is heavily planted.

What it the media?

What it the media?
My husband forgot to clean the pre-filter in the 36 gallon tank that has a canister filter. I have tried cleaning it but can't get the pre-filter back in right and end up getting water everywhere. I am thinking that is where the smell is coming from

The small of Cyanobacter is often mistaken for ammonia when you first meet up with it.

A couple of times over the years, I've noticed a small of ammonia coming from perfectly healthy tanks. I've never really pinned down the source, but stayed the course with regular water changes and maintenance and had it disappear. I've wondered what might have a similar smell to ammonia, but since no harm was ever done, never dug into it.

What it the media?
My husband forgot to clean the pre-filter in the 36 gallon tank that has a canister filter. I have tried cleaning it but can't get the pre-filter back in right and end up getting water everywhere. I am thinking that is where the smell is coming
The small of Cyanobacter is often mistaken for ammonia when you first meet up with it.

A couple of times over the years, I've noticed a small of ammonia coming from perfectly healthy tanks. I've never really pinned down the source, but stayed the course with regular water changes and maintenance and had it disappear. I've wondered what might have a similar smell to ammonia, but since no harm was ever done, never dug into it.
I need to find the source of the smell. It is giving me headaches. Going to clean both tanks in the morning. This is an all day chore. Yay me!! Question...does algae give off an ammonia smell? The 29 gallon is getting more algae than usual. That tank is getting a major clean in the morning.

What type of algae is in the tank? Sheets of algae which peel off are "blue green algae" which is the cyanobacter Gary mentioned.

It not really green and not really brown. I will try and get a picture in a bit when I feed them.
What type of algae is in the tank? Sheets of algae which peel off are "blue green algae" which is the cyanobacter Gary mentioned.

I looked up what you mentioned. I think that is what's going on. How do I get rid of this algae? Should I scrub (no soap of any kind will be used) the entire tank, get new gravel, new filter media? I have never dealt with this type of algae. Yes I have been feeding a little too much. What a pain this crap it!! Can I soak all decorations in a tub of hot water and a tiny bit of bleach? Will it kill this stuff?

Most reactions

Back