Ammonia Readings

Yes, that is correct and I am totally Pro-Fishless Cycle too. Having to wait for two species of bacteria in the air to happen upon and populate your nicely ammonia'd tank takes too long for me.

Then I heard about Bacteria starter kits and I now wonder why they aren't suggested in the pinned articles. Instead of waiting for these bacteria colonies you can simply pour them in and have you tank fully fishlessly cycled in a couple days. :)

Those products cost > than a bottle of ammonia(2$). Also, you cant be sure that those products work 100 %. i have heard that a lot of those products were scam. And only few worked.

More important, cycling the aquarium is part of the hobby. so do it !!

Adding bacteria to the tank isn't getting around the cycling, it is PART of the cycling. If you don't have fish you'll still have to feed your newly introduced bacteria with ammonia from a dropper.

This way though you don't have to wait for bacteria to accidentally happen upon your tank.

OK,

I am now on my 10th day and the readings seemed to have stalled...

Date Ammonia

24-Oct 8
25 5
26 5
27 4
28 4
29 4
30 4
31 4
1 4
2 4

Is this normal? or m i worrying about nothing and should just sit tight and wait?

OK,

I am now on my 10th day and the readings seemed to have stalled...

Date Ammonia

24-Oct 8
25 5
26 5
27 4
28 4
29 4
30 4
31 4
1 4
2 4

Is this normal? or m i worrying about nothing and should just sit tight and wait?

Things like this happen. You are right, it does look like your cycle has stalled. I would carry out a 50% waterchange, and redoce ammonia to 4/5ppm once the waterchange is complete. Most of the bactiria starting a cycle are introduced from the mains water supply, hence the waterchange will boost bactiria numbers, allowing them to colonise the filter quicker. I will just clarify however that it is the filter that is cycled, not the water, the mains supply water just carries small amounts of nitrifying bactiria.
Bactiria in the bottle products often fail. This is for a number of reasons. These include, but aren't limmited to;
1) Wrong type of bactiria in the culture
2) incorrect handling, these cultures should be refridgerated at all times
3) lack of ammonia and nitrite to sustain the bactiria in transit
4) lack of oxygen in the bottle

There are some that work, with the correct handling, but most are useless.

HTH
rabbut

Your cycle appeared to start normally but has stalled. Usually a water change (50% or so) will jump start it again. The fact that you don't have any nitrite leads me to believe that something other than bacteria may have initially removed the ammonia. What type filter media are you using? Some media, such as nitro-zorb and even carbon, can absorb and remove some ammonia. That could be the reason you had the initial reduction but then nothing else.

I am using a foam filter media.

One thing i noticed when i initially added the water and de-chlorinater was that when the air pump was on, it appeared to create foam at the top of the tank. A Lot of foam.

I have since had the air pump off, but i know if i do power it back on again.... it will create a foam.

I will check reading for ammonia tomorrow morning, and if it is still the same, i will do a 50% water change.

If you were getting foam, I would be concerned that the ammonia is the right kind. What ingredients are listed on the bottle? When you shake it, does it foam?

If you were getting foam, I would be concerned that the ammonia is the right kind. What ingredients are listed on the bottle? When you shake it, does it foam?

No sorry... mis-understanding......

Foaming started BEFORE adding ammonia. (Ammonia i am using is the Homebase 1)

Started foaming ever since the de-chlorinater has been added

Pic of it a week ago.... NOTE : If i dont turn off air pump, then foam would rise all the way to the top over night.

DSC04140.jpg

That may be part of the problem. What temperature do you have the tank set at and are you running the air pump at all? If you are cycling with the tep in the upper 80s to low 90s, you need to run the air all the time. Otherwise, there won't be enough oxygen for the ammonia and nitrite to be oxidized.

That may be part of the problem. What temperature do you have the tank set at and are you running the air pump at all? If you are cycling with the tep in the upper 80s to low 90s, you need to run the air all the time. Otherwise, there won't be enough oxygen for the ammonia and nitrite to be oxidized.

Ahhh, i have the temp set to 30 at the moment, air pump is off.

Tank is in a wall, and is only 5" in width... so oxygen gettin in is even less than normal.

You think i should put the pump back on?

I definitely think you need the air back. Without it, I doubt there's enough O2 to keep things going. Not certain what is causing the foam though.

I definitely think you need the air back. Without it, I doubt there's enough O2 to keep things going. Not certain what is causing the foam though.

Ive had the air pump back on a matter of mins, and there is already a considerable ammount of foam built up. Sure if i leave it on, it will overflow out the top :unsure:

What type chemicals are you using (dechlor, etc.)? Those could be part of the problem. You may also want to do a larger water change, up to 100% just in case it is something in the water.

What type chemicals are you using (dechlor, etc.)? Those could be part of the problem. You may also want to do a larger water change, up to 100% just in case it is something in the water.

This is what i am using - Click Me

I don't use that particular dechlor so I don't know anything about it but I have never heard of any issues with it. You might try filling a 5 gallon bucket with water, adding the proper amount of it and testing with the air pump to see if it does the same thing.

Most reactions

Back