Ammonia detected after water change

There is some misunderstanding here concerning Prime, I'll come back to that.

First, to @blairsmith do they add chloramine to your water? And do you have live plants in this tank, and if yes, which plants (a photo would answer this best)? I will offer more when I know these things.

As for the Prime, it temporarily detoxifies ammonia by changing it to harmless ammonium. Most test kits like the API will detect ammonia/ammonium the same, as "ammonia." Nothing wrong in this, provided the ammonium is dealt with within 24-36 hours, by plants or nitrifying bacteria. If the (now) ammonium remains after 36 or so hours, it converts back into ammonia. However, in acidic water (pH below 7) "ammonia" is basically "ammonium" permanently so that is no issue. If the pH in the tank is above 7 the ammonia is more toxic.

First, to @blairsmith do they add chloramine to your water? And do you have live plants in this tank, and if yes, which plants (a photo would answer this best)? I will offer more when I know these things.

As for the Prime, it temporarily detoxifies ammonia by changing it to harmless ammonium. Most test kits like the API will detect ammonia/ammonium the same, as "ammonia." Nothing wrong in this, provided the ammonium is dealt with within 24-36 hours, by plants or nitrifying bacteria. If the (now) ammonium remains after 36 or so hours, it converts back into ammonia. However, in acidic water (pH below 7) "ammonia" is basically "ammonium" permanently so that is no issue. If the pH in the tank is above 7 the ammonia is more toxic.
One of the reasons that WC's aren't necessary (or even recommended) during a fishless cycle, using pure ammonia...we must grow enough BB to handle (consume) that ammonium before it can convert back to ammonia

There is no chloramine added to the water, I am on well water.it is a planted tank, picture attached. Only difference is the Harlequins have been relocated.

Attachments

• 870C364C-D90E-4C7B-BA52-C0AB4289F864.jpeg
    870C364C-D90E-4C7B-BA52-C0AB4289F864.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 28
There is no chloramine added to the water, I am on well water.it is a planted tank, picture attached. Only difference is the Harlequins have been relocated.

OK, have you tested the well water on its own (I assume out of the tap) for ammonia? Knowing it is a well, it is possible ammonia is leeching into the water from agricultural issues or something.

Plants are certainly sufficient to handle 0.25 ppm of ammonia within a day (or less). Test the tank water after a few hours post-WC or the next day to confirm.

Is your pH below 7? If yes, that is the end of the ammonia problem regardless.

OK, have you tested the well water on its own (I assume out of the tap) for ammonia? Knowing it is a well, it is possible ammonia is leeching into the water from agricultural issues or something.

Plants are certainly sufficient to handle 0.25 ppm of ammonia within a day (or less). Test the tank water after a few hours post-WC or the next day to confirm.

Is your pH below 7? If yes, that is the end of the ammonia problem regardless.
I have tested my tap water. In the past it was 0. I didn’t test before the change, noticed my fish were all gasping so I tested tank and tap. Both had the same ammonia reading around .25. PH is currently sitting at 7 which is odd for my water. Normally It’s pretty consistently 6.7 (according to Seneye). It is possible something could be Leeching into the well. I sent my water in for a test about a month ago and it was good at that point, but it also read 0 ammonia on my test.

This is why pH is so important when keeping fish, and shouldn't be ignored or discarded as sometimes it is suggested on this site.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I’m happy to say that parameters have all returned to normal.

Attachments

• CAEF0695-BA71-4537-97F9-916F36CF41FA.png
    CAEF0695-BA71-4537-97F9-916F36CF41FA.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 22

Most reactions

Back