Ammonia detected after water change

blairsmith

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have an established aquarium, I did a 25% water change yesterday and it spiked the ammonia to around .25. I have tested my tap water regularly and never detected ammonia before yesterday. After the spike I re-tested my tap water and there is absolutely ammonia in the water now. it was a dumb mistake, I should have tested again before the water change. I have used Prime to help with the ammonia, it is still detected but the fish are looking OK again. Any recommendations what I can do for the immediate issue and on how I can treat my water prior to a water change going forward? I am considering building a reservoir under my stand that can hold 50+ gallon of treated water ready for water changes.

What kind of test kit are you using?

As long as you are dosing the proper amount of Prime during each water change (1 ml/10 USG), your fish will be fine...the Prime will convert harmful ammonia into harmless ammonium, but your test kit doesn't recognize the difference between the two, so you will get a positive reading for ammonia after a WC, every time...how long has the tank been set up?...tank size?...stocking?

As long as you are dosing the proper amount of Prime during each water change (1 ml/10 USG), your fish will be fine...the Prime will convert harmful ammonia into harmless ammonium, but your test kit doesn't recognize the difference between the two, so you will get a positive reading for ammonia after a WC, every time...how long has the tank been set up?...tank size?...stocking?
tank has been up almost 2 years. 120 gallon 5 Angel fish and 4 Blue Rainbow fish

are you changing our the filter media or are you cleaning it in tank water every several weeks?

tank has been up almost 2 years. 120 gallon 5 Angel fish and 4 Blue Rainbow fish
So, 12 ml of Prime if you are using a siphon to empty/fill during WCs.
If using buckets, treat per the bucket amount. (I can't imagine using buckets for a big tank like that, though, lol).

My tap water actually tests for around 1 ppm(!) of ammonia...but with Prime (or API Tap Water Conditioner), I don't fret over using it for WCs...

So, 12 ml of Prime if you are using a siphon to empty/fill during WCs.
If using buckets, treat per the bucket amount. (I can't imagine using buckets for a big tank like that, though, lol).

My tap water actually tests for around 1 ppm(!) of ammonia...but with Prime (or API Tap Water Conditioner), I don't fret over using it for WCs...
Thank you very much! part of the reason I've been considering building a reservoir is because I do currently fill with buckets. it's horrible LOL I want to build a top off setup but it would just be used for water changes. have a tank/tub below at the ready to pump the water is after a change.

Thank you very much! part of the reason I've been considering building a reservoir is because I do currently fill with buckets. it's horrible LOL I want to build a top off setup but it would just be used for water changes. have a tank/tub below at the ready to pump the water is after a change.
More than welcome...if you have a sink nearby with the correct type of faucet (removable aerator), I'd seriously consider getting one of these...they come in different hose lengths, as you can see

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NXC/?tag=ff0d01-20

Do a fish count...are any fish missing. Otherwise I would suspect the test kit as possibly being slightly inaccurate. Be sure to shake the reagent bottles thorougly before using.
If no fish missing and tank was previously cycled, I wouldnt worry too much. Just be sure you are not overfeeding the fish.

Do a fish count...are any fish missing. Otherwise I would suspect the test kit as possibly being slightly inaccurate. Be sure to shake the reagent bottles thorougly before using.
If no fish missing and tank was previously cycled, I wouldnt worry too much. Just be sure you are not overfeeding the fish.
The OP previously tested their tap for ammonia traces, none detected...then recently, re-tested, and detected ammonia

Most reactions

Back