Amazon disappoints

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I purchased many things from Amazon, and in general, I have been pleased. The prices are usually very competitive and the shipped items arrive intact. But the other day I ordered a Fluval E300 heater. When it arrived, it was obvious that the heater had first been delivered to another person who returned it. The box was crumpled. There was no cellophane around the box. The twisty was off the power cord which was unwound. I sent the heater back.

I purchased a new heavy duty sewing machine from amazon that was so well used that the thread had removed some of the chrome finish on the guides. I to sent it back.

On another note I would like to know how well your heater works for you. I found my E300 to report poor flow unless it was totally within the outflow from the filter. In my opinion my M300 from Fluval performs better. I do like the color of the E300, it hides easily, and I like I can see the green light for the temp but it doesn't take over the tank.

I purchased a new heavy duty sewing machine from amazon that was so well used that the thread had removed some of the chrome finish on the guides. I to sent it back.

On another note I would like to know how well your heater works for you. I found my E300 to report poor flow unless it was totally within the outflow from the filter. In my opinion my M300 from Fluval performs better. I do like the color of the E300, it hides easily, and I like I can see the green light for the temp but it doesn't take over the tank.
Will do. Others on this site state that the E300 needs to be on a 45 degree angle near the filter outflow.

sounds like a poor design... just saying...

Honestly the last Fluval of any series I got lately where pretty deceiving and didn't pass the torture test for me.

At the moment the best I have running that passed the tests are Eheim/Jagger TruTemp...

I also tried Hydor just for fun and their thermostat are completely out of wack... And they float, loll.

Now I'm trying a "No name" heater made in china sold on amazon, search YOFOTHS aquarium heaters... And at the moment is holding very well. What bugs me the most is there is no way to find who makes them.

They have external Led display / control with current temp, with no memory loss after black out. The surprise when I got it... It's smaller than my thumb and weights a lot. It's rated at 30w for 6 gallons and if it does pass the test, will go in my betta tank.

At the moment I use it to heat my water for water changes, cross check it with an electronic thermometer and it blows. They also have 100-200w available.

I cant say much on their longevity, for now, but a Fluval T50 on the same treatment croaked in the mean time.

And the Remote Control is really neat. I have an Hydor that is going to be replaced by a 50w of this "No name" really soon if it continues like that.

I fart in the general direction of Amazon . Okay , nobody beats their prices and they’ll put it on a gas guzzling cargo jet for free but you found out the drawbacks . Patronize the LFS or at least Petsmart so you can see what you’re buying beforehand . The best mail order fish and aquarium outfit is www.jehmco.com out of Lambertville New Jersey . They have EVERYTHING ! Stuff you never even knew you needed or wanted they have . Want a good dependable cheap heater ? Get a Penn Plax Cascade from them or get the Cadillac of aquarium heaters , Eheim Jaeger from them . You’ll pay for the shipping but the service and selection make it worth your while .

Jehmco is good - it's where I got my linear piston air pumps. Nice people.

Amazon - most of what I get is good, but they had a type of coffee maker I wanted that I couldn't get locally, and it came as someone's return, and didn't work. It took two returns to get one that was new in the box and worked, and they weren't listed as used. The brand was known to be reliable, but when they sell second hand stuff as new, there's a problem.
A brick and mortar store would have had to mark it way down from the state of the box alone, and wouldn't have been likely to resell things returned due to malfunctions.

For me, whether it's a US aquarium product or Chinese doesn't really matter. It's all imports to me. The no name Chinese gear can be rock solid, but I'm always leery of getting heaters like the old nineties US ones that used to catch fire or zap you. I knew their brand names to avoid them, and they seem to be off the market now anyway. With the Chinese ones, I don't know the names. The same product can be sold under many English names, just like our fish. That makes me back off with the potentially dangerous stuff like heaters. If it's in contact with water, it needs to be good.

This past year, I had several orders that had 2-day shipping (prime), but they never arrived. Their customer service is useless and is based in the Philippines. I been a customer for years but this past year has not been great. I think Amazon is having more orders stolen during shipping than ever before. Still, I have to use them since some products can't be bought locally. I have their Prime credit card, but the orders I made that used most of my earned dollars are most likely the ones that never arrived. I stopped using their prime card and started using another credit card, and I have had better luck receiving the order.

Yep… agree, they seem to have grown beyond what they have the capability of providing… I’m in the same boat, that locally is not an aquarium friendly shopping area… but my Prime orders have gone from delivering in a couple days, to minimum of a week, with many things going to 2 weeks… it’s definitely not the instant gratification place to shop, that it was a little over a year ago… as far as this hobby, and buying on line, Fish have been getting better, supplies, not so much…

The semi local pet store ( not a specialized aquarium store ) has be getting better on the supply side, so I’ve been buying more there lately… but they certainly can’t match Amazon for the variety…

Last edited:
Yep… agree, they seem to have grown beyond what they have the capability of providing… I’m in the same boat, that locally is not an aquarium friendly shopping area… but my Prime orders have gone from delivering in a couple days, to minimum of a week, with many things going to 2 weeks… it’s definitely not the instant gratification place to shop, that it was a little over a year ago… as far as this hobby, and buying on line, Fish have been getting better, supplies, not so much…

Th semi local pet store ( not a specialized aquarium store ) has be getting better on the supply side, so I’ve been buying more there lately… but they certainly can’t match Amazon for the variety…
The whole shipping industry has grown to the point that they may be unable to keep going like they have been . UPS and Fed Ex have had package volume increase a thousand fold over five years ago . I think the days of home delivery may be soon over . They will probably go to drop off points that the customers have to go claim their stuff at . Now there’s the thing of product quality . Stuff is being made so fast to satisfy demand that quality oversight has gone out the window . I’m hoping that the local hometown brick and mortar shops are poised to make a comeback . I buy local whenever I can because I like to see what I’m buying before I plop the money on the counter .

Yep, last year, when I was setting up my Tilapia grow out tanks, I bought ( not the cheapest ) but a plastic sump pump, as part of the filter for the 3 big tanks… I plugged it in the 1st time, and all the impeller blades broke off, so no water pumping… I was hoping plastic would be better for the fish tanks… I ended up with a commercial cast iron pump bought local, because by the time it got here and broke right away… I needed it… I’m still using the same pump this year…

Yep, last year, when I was setting up my Tilapia grow out tanks, I bought ( not the cheapest ) but a plastic sump pump, as part of the filter for n the 3 big tanks… it lugged it in the 1st time, and all the impeller blades broke off, so no water pumping… I as hoping plastic would be better for the fish tanks… I ended up with a commercial cast iron pump bought local, because by the time it got here and broke right away… I needed it… still using the same pump this year…
I hear what you’re saying about plastic maybe being better for the fish but cast iron shouldn’t be a problem , it just rusts and isn’t toxic like copper and sometimes you need something with some power and plastic doesn’t deliver . Those big Tilapia probably strain your system at times .

Most reactions

Back