Amazing Male Melanotaenia Praecox Display

Danbarb

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just added two male Melanotaenia Praecox (neon blue rainbowfish), to my tank to accompany a few females. my my. Amazing displays from the males! It's like a light turning on and off from their nose to their top fin, a bright yellow. They're fast becoming my favourite fish, just because of this!

I've never seen a fish flash colours before, I've seen my tiger barbs black stripes show a green shimmer when they're ready but this was amazing. Just wanted to say!

Yeah, nothing beats a displaying rainbow. You would think that the color change would be gradual, but in fact it is almost instant and intentional. It's very dramatic (romantic to fish maybe?) :D

my haps do this too . its amazing to watch a fish literally transform in front of your eyes , just like flipping a switch isnt it .

I couldn't believe it, seriously it was one of the most amazing things I've seen! I didn't realise they could switch on their colours so instantaneously like that, I was almost cheering for that guy to win her over!

I was kinda freaked when I saw my female M. lacustris flash a breeding stripe. I never knew that they had the ability, but apparently they do.

hi i was thinking of getting some of these, sounds like you'd reccomend them , how would they fare with tiger barbs?

i always thought the male Melanotaenia Praecox were red finned, and the females had the yellow.

Most reactions

Back