FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
How established would you say a tank as to be before you introduce shrimp?

Looking into to getting a group of Amano's for bottom dwellers.

I'm no expert on shrimp either, but as long as you have a cycled tank, they should be fine.
Having "said" the above, it's always better to introduce new livestock to an established tank than a new setup. However, shrimp generate very little ammonia so much like introducing one or two small fish at a time, it is usually quite safe....especially if you have plants. Fast growing floating plants use ammonia as their nitrogen source (converting it into plant tissue) creating a buffer to the nitrogen cycle. Less ammonia processed by beneficial bacteria means lower nitrites and subsequent lower nitrates. And since floating plants do well under nearly all light setups, they are really an asset in every tank to aid in water purification.

I do have plants in the intended tank. Its cycled and been running about 7 weeks so far. Probably be closer to 3 months by the time i add them. Still got to do some research to find if their ok for my water etc but some sources was saying leave your tank upto 6 months before you add them! which i thought was a bit over the top to say the least

You may lose a few in a young tank, especially if the shrimp are a more delicate species. Give them a food source (a sinking pellet every other day) as bio-film and algae can be less prevalent in a young tank.

I had my tank running 2 months when I added 5 ghost shrimp. I had done a silent cycle with no problems. They seem fine and are still running around in there.

I had a little plant tank that I ran for a few weeks and when I got the bigger tank I added the substrate, water and plants etc to it and ran for another week. I got my red cherries, blues and ghost and added them with snails and 2 bristles and a week later added yellows, more snails and another bristle. It’s been going for about 3 weeks now and they are all active and healthy, I have babies and also more pregnant girls. But in saying that I am pretty anal with all my water parameters and husbandry.
They are pretty hardy little guys and really sweet to watch.

3 of my yellows sharing a meal (there were a few little fights over food between them haha). The one on the right one of my pregnant girls, to cute

Attachments

• A0AA119A-6575-42F7-8E54-E677F9967907.jpeg
    A0AA119A-6575-42F7-8E54-E677F9967907.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 73
Howdy peeps,

Looking to add some shrimp to one of my tanks soon. (Amano's if i can locate some) Is there anything i need to ensure is in the tank the shrimp require?

It is planted but ive read they like moss. Is this essential?

Also would drip acclimating the shrimp be the best way to introduce them to the tank

Cheers

How established would you say a tank as to be before you introduce shrimp?

Looking into to getting a group of Amano's for bottom dwellers.
I have kept amano shrimp before in a 45 gallon tank, and they were extremely hardy and i got them before i even got any fish. They also won’t breed like crazy because they need brackish water to do so.

Amano shrimps are pretty hardy guys. I bought 2 back when I bought my first tropical fish tank. They both lived through the cycling process and quite a few years. One of them disappeared from I don't know. The other recently died. She lived for around 7-8 years which is a very long time. They are sly little guys when your feeding as they can steal little bits of solid food from other fishes XD

Howdy peeps,

Looking to add some shrimp to one of my tanks soon. (Amano's if i can locate some) Is there anything i need to ensure is in the tank the shrimp require?

It is planted but ive read they like moss. Is this essential?

Also would drip acclimating the shrimp be the best way to introduce them to the tank

Cheers
They do like moss but any fine leafed plant will provide somewhere safe to browse. My cherry shrimp spend more time on the hygrophila difformis than on the moss balls.
I drip acclimated them.

They do like moss but any fine leafed plant will provide somewhere safe to browse. My cherry shrimp spend more time on the hygrophila difformis than on the moss balls.
I drip acclimated them.
Thats great thanks :)

Most reactions

Back