Am I Being Stupid?

AllenLeicester

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My tank is ready for some more fish and im think im going to go with Dwarf Gouramis, But im worried about all these diseases? Is there anyway Human can catch these disease? Sorry if its stupid, but i dont wanna to catch anything, Am i safe to get these fish?

I think they'd come with a health warning if it was any threat to the public.

No you're not being stupid at all.And very much in your right to ask, too.
I did read somewhere that there is a fish illness that could possibly be passed on to humans. But I shrugged it off as nonsense. Perhaps its right?

If you are considering dwarf gourami, Allen, they are brilliant. Mine eat out of my fingers and they are so peaceful.

I hope you enjoy them too.

They are also often rife with an internal bacterial infections which is impossible to diagnose before hand. It's is completely pot luck if you get a good one and they usually always die from their symptoms. Sparkling Gouramis may be a better option or you should certainly consider quarantine of new dwarf gouramis for 4 weeks + treatment with Interpet's Anti Internal Bacteria No.9 as a matter of precaution.

:good:

ps. As far as I'm aware there is no evidence of disease being passed to humans.

fish TB can apparently be passed to humans. but i think it's a pretty rare disease and you have to have an open cut or something on your hand and put it in the water to catch it (I think). that's probably the disease you read about madgap!?

apart from that i dont think there's much risk of contracting a disease from your fish. At least i hope not - the amount of time my hands spend in my tanks, I'm probably rife with disease otherwise! lol

Apparently Tuberculosis can be spread to humans from fish.... Not sure where I read that though so can't back it up.

It can, although most variants found in aquarium fish are removed from the commonly known strains (in relation to humans), one of which is mycobacterium ulcerans.

The one often found in aquariums is mycobacterium marinum which generally only results in skin irritation and nothing worse.

Some wild-caught, african cichlids have been linked with mycobacterium ulcerans.
To which extent i'd pay particular care when dealing with them.

Doesn't affect you though as your getting a Gourami, so erm.... :dunno:

Mycobacterium from Emedicine;
Background: Mycobacterium marinum is an atypical Mycobacterium found in salt and fresh water. M marinum is the most common atypical Mycobacterium to cause infection in humans. Infection occurs following primary inoculation of a skin abrasion or puncture and manifests as a localized granuloma or sporotrichotic lymphangitis. Diagnosis and treatment are often delayed because of a lack of suspicion for mycobacterial involvement, ie, versus more common bacterial pathogens.

Pathophysiology: M marinum infection occurs following trauma to an extremity that is in contact with an aquarium, salt water, or marine animals such as fish or turtles. Exposure to M marinum via swimming pools is rare because most pools are chlorinated.

The pathogen is classified in Runyon group 1 and is a photochromogen, which means it produces yellow pigment when cultured and exposed to light. Culture growth occurs over 7-21 days and is optimal at 25-32°C (77-89.6°F) because the organism is adapted to infect ectotherms, such as fish. Endotherms, such as humans, also can be infected; however, the cooler extremities are affected more often than central sites. Systemic infection, usually in the context of an immunocompromised host, has been reported. This indicates that the organism is capable of adapting to grow in conditions closer to 37°C.

After inoculation into the host tissues via an abrasion or other wound, the mycobacteria are phagocytosed by macrophages. Inside the macrophage, they are able to interrupt the formation of the phagolysosome, which would kill the organisms. The mycobacteria then escape the lysosome and can move intracellularly and extracellularly via actin-based motility. This may contribute to cell-to-cell spread.

Studies have revealed 2 pathophysiologically and genetically (ie, via amplified restriction-based polymorphism analysis) distinct populations of M marinum. One group can infect humans and causes acutely lethal disease in fish, while a second group cannot infect humans and causes chronic progressive disease in fish.

Frequency:

In the US: Infections caused by M marinum are rare but well described in the literature. The estimated annual incidence is 0.27 cases per 100,000 adult patients. Of the approximately 150 cases described, most are case reports of cutaneous infection; however, some describe osteomyelitis, tenosynovitis, arthritis, and disseminated infection. Nosocomial infection has never been described.
Internationally: Infection occurs worldwide, most commonly in individuals with occupational and recreational exposure to fresh or salt water.
Mortality/Morbidity: The disease typically remains localized and does not cause significant morbidity in patients who are immunocompetent. Cases reported in patients who are severely immunocompromised have resulted in disseminated infection involving the bone marrow and viscera and may result in death.

Race: No racial predilection is apparent.

Sex: No sexual predilection has been noted.

Age: M marinum infection has been reported in persons of every age group; however, it appears to be rare in the pediatric population.

You're EXTREMELY unlikely to catch anything from your fish. But I'd avoid Dwarf Gouramis; try some Honey Gouramis instead, they're fabulous.

i used to contaminate my girlfriends orange juice with tank water, just for an experiment, to see if she got sick, if she didnt get sick, i assumed it was safe to manually suck on a syphon during water water changes. After a few weeks of having daily doses of tank water, my girlfriend seemed okay, so i concluded it was safe to suck on the syphon

EDIT: i just realised, this could be really useful info, should i stick it in the Scientific Section, as technically it was an experiment?

i used to contaminate my girlfriends orange juice with tank water, just for an experiment, to see if she got sick, if she didnt get sick, i assumed it was safe to manually suck on a syphon during water water changes. After a few weeks of having daily doses of tank water, my girlfriend seemed okay, so i concluded it was safe to suck on the syphon

EDIT: i just realised, this could be really useful info, should i stick it in the Scientific Section?
:rofl:
good to see you have your priorities straight!

Fish Tuberculosis can be transfered to humans if handled with open cuts and such

Fish Tuberculosis can be transfered to humans if handled with open cuts and such

Looking at the picture in this link to Fish TB (Mycobacterium marinum) you would definitely know if you had it.

AllenLeicester..anyway dont let this worry you, the chances of you catching anything from your fish is slim to none.
You could give dwarf gouramis a try but people have including me and found they dont last. They are "dwarf" in size from being bred to be small. This usually results in in-breeding which is why they get dieases easily.

You would be better off with full size gourami's (depending on your tank size and current stock) like Gold, Blue, Pearl, etc. as there are lots to choose from.

Most reactions

Back