Am I A Horrible Person? :(

xamy_valox

Fishaholic
Reaction score
A few months back I bought a pair of German Blue Rams, not a breeding pair but a male and female in the hopes that they may become mates.
This was not the case however, my female bullies my male to the point he would barely come out from behind the plants! Ironically a couple of weeks later she died leaving him behind.
I really would like a breeding pair and have been offered a beautiful pair at my LFS as a guy I know there knows how I love them.
He has advised that if I add them to my tank with my current male there will more than likely be fighting as the pair are quite a size compared to my male.
I can quite easily rehome the male to my brother but I feel awful doing so :(!
Has anyone been in this predicament?

As long as you are re-homing to a good home you trust I see no problem doing this. Your intent as a hobbyist was to get a breeding pair. So...no...you are not a horrible person. ;)

Don't say that Tizerrr!!
Yeah he'll be fine in my brothers tank, he has more luck with this tank than I ever have up until now (I seem to have finally cracked it with a far better filter). He won't be lonely will he?
That's what I keep trying to tell myself, as I intended to have a breeding pair from the start =\
I'm also thinking of adding a Pearl Gourami once I have shipped my other smaller fish (tetras and a few Platys) to my brother also. He is my fishy foster parent haha. Will I have a problem with a pair of GBR's and a Pearl Gourami?
I didn't think I would due to the Gourami spending most of its time at the top and the rams the bottom but just wanted to make sure?

No! You are not a horrible person at all. It's your fish and you are the only one who know what is best for him.
I have 50+ platy babies and i can't keep them all. I DO want to keep them all but i can't.
I will find their new homes when they are little bigger but i will find places where they can be happy & safe. Not just give them away.
You are considering your brother's cos you know he will take care of your fish well with responsible. Than that's all matter.
I believe there is time that we can't keep them. Then we should let them go for better.
IMO just keeping them because we want even if we know that may make them so stressed and not happy is just selfish. Responsible person is who consider they are happy & healthy.. And also if they are not, try to find out what is best for them even it may break your heart or make you sad.
Just think what is best for your fish.

You are doing the right thing. A horrible person would flush the fish, to its demise.
As for adding the gourami, that should work perfectly.

I rehome guppies often, I actually feel good about it as I know I am giving them a chance at a life they can't have in my own tank (as they have too many babies and over populate quickly). Its a good thing to move a fish on to a better place to live not a bad thing. Plus, its your brother... you can have a say and still see the fish.

:D thanks guys! I feel much better about it all now. He shall be moving to his new home on Sunday!!

Lol Tizer, no you wouldn't.
That big old tank, I bet you've chopped and changed a few fish around and not flushed them :p

Yeah will do, can't get them until next week. He's waiting to see which ones with the nicest colours pair off for me and put them aside. Love my LFS! I'll post some pics once I have them and they are settled =]

Most reactions

Back