algea problem,help!

b.c.f.c

Fishaholic
Reaction score
the algea in my tank is starting to rearly bugg me :grr: ,its rearly hard to keep up with, expecially when its a planted tank so how can i get ridd or at least keep it down.i think its just normal algea but its getting all over my plants and its rearly anoying and hard to clean it off all the leafs.

i thought maybe a algea eating fish to keep it down a bit,but i have no idea which 1 would do best in my tank.i feed my fish live blood worm 3 times a week flake food, and the odd piece of cucumber or letuce now and again.could this food be creating more of a problem or not ?
please help me,and any info would be great thx. :D

For algae problems there are three solutions

First Solution
Scrape it off manually, scoop it out with a net or sieve and try to keep on top of it.
Practicality rating: fairly impractical.
Efficiency rating: not very efficient
Fish Health rating: healthy!

Second Solution
Use a chemical water treatment to reduce the algae in the tank
Practicality rating: very practical
Efficiency rating: it will work, but not like it says on the label
Fish Health rating: chemicals + water is typically bad. I dont trust these things.

Third Solution
Get a cleanup crew of fish for your tank!
Practicality rating: practical but initially costly
Efficiency rating: highly efficient
Fish Health rating: very healthy fishies

A good cleanup crew (depending on the size of the tank!) is typically a mixture of:
  • Corydoras catfish to pick up dropped or half rotten foods from the substrate (preferably sand, they have sensitive mouths and barbells!) and also to keep the top layer of substrate regularly turned.
  • Ottoculins Affinius (common Ottos) for soft algae. Even though theyre tiny, you wont need many of them. They require constantly full bellies to survive properly
  • A pleco - please research plecos that suit the size of your tank! Good small-staying plecos are Lime Plecos and Bristle Nose Plecos.
Make sure that your cleanup crew fits nicely in the Inch Per Gallon rule for your other fish too! Dont be tempted to overstock, it will just cause more problems than it solves. What size tank do you have and how many fish are in it, and could you also list the types of fish that you have?

i dont mind cleaning the algea off the glass and off the top of the gravel with the gravel vav its the algea on the plants decor and on the filter heater etc.i dont think i have any room for any more fish i am already a bit over stocked,in it i have....

28 gallon

4 kuli loaches
5 glow lights
6 cardinals
5 rummy noses
1 rainbow shark (small)
4 platies (2 female 2 male)
1 cory
1 small clown loach

as i said i am a bit over stocked.i dont want to add any chemicals to my water if i can help it and its probly a bit costly as well.so what should i do.i was thinking about getting fake plants,this would be easyer to clean becus u dont have to be as careful and its not going to create any algea,so what do you think,the only thing im worried about is it not looking so good.so has any body got any pics of tanks with fake plants in it,if they have that would be great thx. :D thx for all the info so far.

mmm afraid that Clown Loach & also Rainbow Shark are really not at all suitable at all for the tank you currently have. I'm sure you would have read enough eabout them by now, but if you can rehome them, you can get some more cories or some ottos.

i know that there not suitable for my tank :/ but i got them when i first got my tank and i didnt rearly know a lot about them.but on the other hand there only small and when they start getting bigger im hopeing to have a bigger tank but for the moment they look happy and healthy and have been for about 5 months. :D

You could try having your lights on a cycle using a timer. Something like 5 hours on, 2 hours off, then 5 hours on.

The theory being that the algae won't grow as much but the plants wont notice any difference.

This method should only limit the amount of algae because its practically impossible to have a tank full of water, with lights and no algae at all.

But it could be your nitarate, phosphate etc levels are out of balance. You'd need to test your water to determine what exactly is the cause of your algae.

Paul.

thats great thx.i have always been meaning to buy a timer but never got around to it,(always wanted other things lol)i will give it a try and il take my water to be tested at my local fish store as i did think it was time i had a check to be on the safe side.thx.

Most reactions

Back