Algae Removal Attempt Having Adverse Effects On Hornwart

slowcountry

Reaction score
I had received some advice on this forum regarding the removal of some short stringy black algae growing on my leafed plants causing stunted growth. I double dosed the Seachem Carbon product as advised yesterday, and today my Hornwart plants are shedding all of their needles. The needles are extremely green, much more so than yesterday, however they are leaving their stalks.

Today I have done a 50% water change to see if this helps over the next couple of days. Will these plants recover and should the needles be removed. Will the needles propagate into new plants, or just rot and cause Nitrite problems?

All of my leafed plants seem to be very happy and unaffected.

Thanks in advance,

Doug Coffman

some plants react adversely to liquid carbon, more so than others and it tends to be the fully aquatics such as hornwort, liveworts & bladderworts.

EDIT: They are fine with the manafacturers reccomendations though, and thix will still help with the algae. If it is only in a few select places, then try spot dosing (Squirt the daily dose into the affected areas using a syringe or pippette). This is more economical unless it is throughout the whole tank.

Most reactions

Back