Algae Eaters?

monica

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering the best kind of algae eater for a 10 gallon? I will also be needing one for a 5.5 gallon aswell. I would prefer one that will be eating algae constantly, as this problem has arisen after years of algae-free aquariums. I would need one that fits into the above aquariums, will not eat guppies (which are still considerably small, though not new fry). And will be a good algae sucker. I am hoping I can find one, and would be grateful for any suggestions.

I would get a group of 3 Otto's for the 10 Gallon & i assume you could do the same for the 5.5 gallon, but you wouldnt be able to add much else. Oto's do like to be kept in groups & they are effective algae eaters, but you should also drop the occasional algae wafer every once in a while

They get to 1-2 inches max. The female bettas shouldn't do anything.

maybe even a sucking loach
A sucking loach as in a Chinese Algae eater (often referred to as a sucking loach)? If so, I think not. They get up to 10"

You don't "need" an algae cleaner just for the sake of it. Just get an algae scraper and wipe the glass! In such a small tank it will take seconds.

Only keep Otos if your tank is going to be very well planted - they actually need algae growth to feed on. I've also never seen or hear of evidence that they must be kept in groups.

If you're really struggling with algae, cut down the amount of artificial light. And make sure the tank doesn't get direct sunlight.

That's the weird thing... It does not get any artificial light, and has minimal contact with sunlight. And it grows in random spots...
I will be heavily planting my tank when I move which will be in June or if the new house has a late closing, in august at the latest. Will an otto be fine until then? And do they bother other fish at all?

Nope otos do not bother at all.
Once you go planted, check out the planted section for a wealth of info and help.

This article on algae may help too.

I can also recommend Amano shrimp - but you'll need at leaste 10 or so for the 10 gallon and even easily in the 5 gallon. They're not cheap and don't eat all kinds of algae. But they're totally awesome cleaners.

Edit: with shrimp you *will* need a tight fitting lid. And they jump like fleas if you net them. So be careful.

Otos are probably your best bet. There are a few smaller species of pleco that are a maybe...but first you have to find them...and from my experience they weren't as good at eating algae as the larger species.

God Bless,
Joshua

Ottos are definitely the way to go. I had a single one in a 45ltr tank with very few plants and it did a brilliant job of cleaning the tank, it was very shy though and must have done its cleaning at night. I also heard that they should be kept in groups and when I started a 70ltr tank - again with very few plants - I added two and they were very playful and active all the time. Sadly I also added a Chinese Algae Eater aka Golden Sucking Loach and I'm pretty sure that it killed them.
When setting up a 125ltr planted tank I added 6 and moved the one from the 45ltr they are all very active and playful, so I guess that they do prefer to be in groups. They do an amazing job at cleaning some types of algae but don't touch others.

Take a picutre of your algae and post it here.
Or describe exactly what it looks like and where it occurs.

My Otos don't eat hair or strand like algae, they mainly eat the small green and brown stuff that grows on the glass, rocks, leaves and gravel.

Hi, someone told me that the Bristle nose cat fish is great for cleaning tanks, and have been known to totaly clean a 4ft tank over night. I was also told they are very tollorent to water conditions and will do well in cold or tropical fresh water tanks. I don't know what types of algea they eat but it is their staple diet. If you have an algae free tank then you just supply them with algae wafers and blanched q-cumber etc.

Most reactions

Back