Alex's 175l Conversion To Marine!

alexlark

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, after many, many, many, many hours of reading the stickies etc I have finally taken the plunge! I hope my journal inspires others as much as the other members journals have inspired myself. So without any more delay, here we go!

My current setup was a 175L 4FT freshwater tank. I have been keeping FW fish for the last 9 years so time for a change. The ultimate marine setup!!!

My plans are a FOWLR setup and then take it from there. Nothing too major (famous last words!! :lol: )

Tank first thing Sat morning 27/10/07:

IMGP2341.jpg

IMGP2339.jpg

This is after I took my FW fish back to the LFS for some store credit.

IMGP2348.jpg

Now for a bit of cleaning!!

IMGP2349.jpg

IMGP2352.jpg

After one coat of blue paint (I was using a black "stick on" background before)

IMGP2356.jpg

That takes me up to Sat night. So not too bad for a days work!!

Now Sun morning 28/10/07:

Electrical upgrade required!

IMGP2357.jpg

And finished!!

IMGP2359.jpg

As I am planning on mounting a V2 400 skimmer the other side of a 4" wall I needed a few fittings and pipe. Price £0!!! Off a mate!! :good:

IMGP2361.jpg

IMGP2366.jpg

And that concludes the start of the project. I have also fitted my RO filter so will have to get a pic of that on here too. So far so good! Let me know what you think.

Alex

Thats goona be sweet! That FW setup looked good but SW looks far better :p
Good luck man!

Thanks! I did have a few plants in there too. Growing around the bog wood. Fancied a new challenge! ;)

Oooh, this'll be fun to watch. Nice electrical work there :)

Thanks SkiFletch! I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that!

Well, I was expecting my V2 skimmer and external pump today but the courier left a card so I will have to pick them up on Friday. More waiting..... :shout:

@ Matthew5664

Thanks for those there words of wisdom! I hope I like it! otherwise there will be a lot of new kit for sale! :sad:

Hi guys, haven't been on the site for a bit. The tank is coming along great. Didn't bother with a skimmer after. Just doing weekly water changes with RO water and I am also using LR rubble in an canister and some chemical filtration in a media bag. I'll get some pics up here when I get five mins ;)

If I where you I would consider a skimmer in a tank that size. It does not have to be expensize but believe me it makes the world of differance. I was a bit sus when I upgraded my 5ft tropical into a marine so I went with a £40 basic internal and I'm really glad I did. Its easy to use and does a great job of removing the rubbish from the water column. Considering I also use a large external filter with lots of rock rubble Carbon and filter floss I'm amazed just how much it removes and wouldnt run a tank without one now.

Most reactions

Back