Airpump Recomendation ?

kiriyama

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Is there any such thing as a silent or very quiet airpump ?
The one I am using has a low hum which I have got used to but lately it's got very noisy and buzzy, any good ones on the market you guys could recommend ?
Any help/info much appreciated :good:
:fish:

if you direct the filter flow at the waters surface then there is no need to have an airpump. no airpump is the quietest :good: airpumps are pretty much only anygood for visual effect or running sponge filters. if you dont need 1 for these reasons then you dont need 1 at all

The one I am using has a low hum which I have got used to but lately it's got very noisy and buzzy, any good ones on the market you guys could recommend ?

I have a Tetratec APS300 and its excellent. Any of the airpumps in the Tetratec range are excellent.

the bi-orb ones are the quietest ones ive heard but i dont think they have alot of power

if you direct the filter flow at the waters surface then there is no need to have an airpump. no airpump is the quietest :good: airpumps are pretty much only anygood for visual effect or running sponge filters. if you dont need 1 for these reasons then you dont need 1 at all

Running sponge filter in a fry tank :good:

I have a Tetratec APS300 and its excellent. Any of the airpumps in the Tetratec range are excellent.

It's the Tetratec APS100 :rolleyes:

It was ok to begin with, it's just got a bit buzzy lately :crazy:

I can't help too much but I have an interpet air pump and a tetratec air pump, and the tetratec is MUCH quieter.

I can't help too much but I have an interpet air pump and a tetratec air pump, and the tetratec is MUCH quieter.

Cheers Shred, maybe it's just because I've never had one before, so i guess it's one of the better ones, maybe I'm not used to the humming noise, it was ok for a while, it's just more noticable now, I folded a towel and placed the pump on top of it, not so bad now, maybe vibrations ?

There is definitely such a thing as a silent air pump. I have been using some of the Rena adjustable air pumps for some time now. If I want to know whether or not they are running, the first thing to do is check the air flow from an air stone. No air coming from the stone means the air pump has lost power in some way. You can also pick up the air pump and see if it is perceptibly vibrating. Either method works for me but hearing the air pump running is something I reserve for other brands like the Whisper air pumps, those fancy looking ones that have a suspended look to them due to their curved legs. They may well be quieter than the previous models by the same manufacturer but they are not nearly as quiet as my Renas. I took other people's word for it about just how quiet they were and bought two of them off the internet and I must say that they have been a disappointment to me. I don't know what kind of jack hammer these people were accustomed to hearing, but silence is a relative thing and those noisy things are not silent air pumps in my book.

When you say a Rena Adjustable air pump do you just mean the standard ones? ie: http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=rena%20air%20pump&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&biw=2048&bih=969&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=if

Those Rena pumps in the pictures have an adjustment knob on the end next to where the air hose connects. It allows you to adjust the air flow over a rather large range of flows. I have two model 200A air pumps right next to where I am sitting according to the text printed on the bottom of them. I can't hear either one but they are both less than 5 feet from my ears. One is running 3 air stones in my 120 gallon tank and the other is running two air driven filters in my Betta simplex breeding tank. I do hear the bubbles but not the air pumps.

Those Rena pumps in the pictures have an adjustment knob on the end next to where the air hose connects. It allows you to adjust the air flow over a rather large range of flows. I have two model 200A air pumps right next to where I am sitting according to the text printed on the bottom of them. I can't hear either one but they are both less than 5 feet from my ears. One is running 3 air stones in my 120 gallon tank and the other is running two air driven filters in my Betta simplex breeding tank. I do hear the bubbles but not the air pumps.

I'll look out for those in the future, I quite like the sound of the bubbles, very relaxing, maybe something else I'll start dropping hints for :lol:

Anyone remember the old Hyflo piston pumps.
These were truly silent, admittedly not very nice to look at but they were the workhorses in my day
http://sonik-systems.com/pumps/
If it's silence and reliability and craftsmanship your after the seek out one of these models
quite rare today and if you can get hold of one you wont be disappointed
Regards
C

Most reactions

Back