Air Pump Recommendations

klein

Reaction score
Hi all

I have my eheim 2026 running nicely in my 40x40x90cm 'aqua one' euroview 204L tank and all is well.

The filter does however not put any bubbles into the water.

I'd like an air pump to add some bubbles/oxygen but require some advice as to a good reliable brand/model that is not too noisy.

The tank is planted and has 2 angels and 10 neons, one small plec and two small cory loaches.

The tank is on an 'aqua one' cabinet and i suppose the air pump should sit hidden under the tank in the cabinet.

Also I've checked the recent threads on here, should i go for a 12 inch long traditional air stone, a 2inch ball, aerated hose, or use the 'wooden diffusers' as avaialble from 'aquatics online' to create a fine mist? the eheim is taking care of the filtration nicely.

I'd like advise to make sure the pump is up to the job.

PS is silicone air line really better then traditional plastic as its more £ and should i use a non return valve on the air pump, do i need one outlet or several outlets ont he air pump.?????????

many thanks

John
West Sussex.

Oxygen into the water column occurs at the surface and is caused by the disturbance of the surface tension. A bubbler may look attractive to some viewers but the surface is the interface. If your tank is well planted it is likely that the process of photosynthesis is introducing adequate oxygen into the tank. Do the fish appear to be "gasping"? If not it is likely that all is well. An air pump and bubbler that significantly disturb the surface of the water column is likely removing more O2 from the tank that it is introducing.
Vic

I didnt think of that.

I assumed that as the spray bar was not actuallly introducing any visible bubbles into the tank that the water would be lacking in oxygen, plants seem to be thriving in caribsea black looking substrate, lots of new growth. Maybe i dont need a bubbler.

But if i do for aesthetic reasons any ideas on reliable makes/models?

Thanks

John

I didnt think of that.

I assumed that as the spray bar was not actuallly introducing any visible bubbles into the tank that the water would be lacking in oxygen, plants seem to be thriving in caribsea black looking substrate, lots of new growth. Maybe i dont need a bubbler.

But if i do for aesthetic reasons any ideas on reliable makes/models?

Thanks

John

Aesthetic reasons may be counter productive. The agitation of the surface of the water column will result in significant degassing of the water column. This will result in loss of oxygen which is not likely critical because of the plant growth. however, this will also result in the loss of CO2 from the water column. This may impact your plant growth negatively as carbon is an absolute requirement for good plant growth particularly if the tank has a light level in excess of say, 2wpg. Also, the dam* pumps are noisy. If you do install a pump make very certain that you include a properly installed check valve. Consider putting the pump in the basement and running the airline through the floor or through a hot of cold air vent if possible.
Cheers;
Vic

Most reactions

Back