aggressive guppy

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi there, I am sorry if I came across unclear. Probably because I haven't got loads of experience with fish keeping and this forum yet. Some fish are just aggressive and there's not much you can do. I believe that isolating guppies for a few days can reduce signs of aggression, but as I have never tried it myself I am not sure if it always works. But all in all, just don't keep him in there. Thank you for the feedback Vanalisa, it is always welcome :)
Oh, I was just referring to your comment; it made sense of what @Sgooosh was doing in his/her post. Everything after that was addressed to @Sgooosh.
I just didn't really understand the specifics about what s/he suggested--as in the different scenarios.

I know there are a lot of situations where experienced people can figure out what to do with tank aggression. I just personally feel this particular situation was bad news and
i just mean that sometimes new fish will settle their pecking order and that might turn out as being aggressive if they do not settle on something
and also if guppies are not the right ratio they will bully others too much (unless you have trained them as a pair)
That makes sense and I'm sure things get handled...like you describe. It happens all the time.
Personally, I wouldn't have a clue what to do if my fish acted like that and would be devastated.

To put things in perspective I was at my friend's house over the holidays and I got uncomfortable when her two dogs were just playing with each other because they were showing their teeth and growling I know they were just playing but still...😕

I was talking to a guy at my local fish store a couple weeks ago and he keeps cichlids and I asked aren't they aggressive and he said "well they can be but to me they're just like a big bunch of rowdy puppies!"

I think the most people agreed this scenario was pretty out of hand though. And there were great posts all around regarding what could be going on with fish, or in this case guppy aggression.
I'd be interested in learning more about fish behavior as far as pecking order or whether there need to be pairs or if they need to choose their mates and all kinds of things like that.

I have a male guppy which has recently bitten and killed 2 other guppies, I've looked on google and it advises me to either give the fish back to the pet shop or get some more female fish. What should I do as I don't want to purchase anymore fish knowing that they probably wouldn't survive.
Hey there!
I hope you were able to figure out something to solve your issue and without too much distress...I'm glad you considered the health of the fish you were considering getting.
I wonder how it worked out?
And, again, sorry about your fish...including the poor one doing the damage...😥

Most reactions

Back