Aggressive Discus?

Mr Melt

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Allright lads;

I recently got a new Discus (Plato) to accompany my current one (Nero). Both are Turquoise tank-breds (also bought from same shop/seller).

Nero's acclimatisation to the new tank went off without a hitch (hes been in there for 2 months without problems); however Platos was not. He darkened up and developed white spot, and was VERY lethargic.

Now however he has recovered; white spots gone and he's began to colour up (a little bit). There is now a new problem: when I 1st introduced him to the tank (and when he was unwell) he schooled with Nero all the time. For the past few days they have been swimming apart, and Plato has now started getting aggressive - he will chase Nero away if he gets too close! Although he never actually nips him (always stops short) I think its beginning to stress poor Nero out =/

What could be causing this? In addition, is there anything I can do to stop it?

I should add that the tank water parameters are all fine; 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. Temperature is 26C/78F. Using an Eheim 2215 - so the current is quite strong at times (especially when coupled with my airstone).

Both discus are juvenile (ie. about the same size as a tennis ball or so). Their sexes are unknown.

discus need to be kept in groups of 6 or more to disperse aggression. You'll need to get 4 more to keep the aggression down and let them establish their pecking order, and at the same time, they shouldn't be kept alone. Also, they do best at a higher temp than what you've got it at, more at 84-86 degrees than 78, just thought it should be thrown in there.

So I should basically get rid of my aggressive Discus then? 4 more discus will not fit in my tank =/

So I should basically get rid of my aggressive Discus then? 4 more discus will not fit in my tank =/
you should get rid of them both, then. I can't honestly vouch for keeping discus alone. It's best to keep them in a breeding pair or a proper shoal.

Well the original discus was fine on his own; very lively and colorful. I should add that the discus ARE in a community setup, so they aren't alone per se.

Well the original discus was fine on his own; very lively and colorful. I should add that the discus ARE in a community setup, so they aren't alone per se.

My oldest discus was alone for about 6 month, i can say from my experience that he was ok (although i cant read its mind :lol: )

I now have 3, and intend on upping that to 6-8 within the next 2 month, However one of them is really aggressive towards the other now, especially when feeding, i also believe this occurs in bigger groups because of a pecking order.

After all discus are cichlids and aggression will happen sooner or later anyway, usually when pairing/breeding.

My oldest discus was alone for about 6 month, i can say from my experience that he was ok (although i cant read its mind :lol: )

I now have 3, and intend on upping that to 6-8 within the next 2 month, However one of them is really aggressive towards the other now, especially when feeding, i also believe this occurs in bigger groups because of a pecking order.

After all discus are cichlids and aggression will happen sooner or later anyway, usually when pairing/breeding.
Least he's recovered from the stress somewhat =P

My LFS (who I got him off) advised re-arranging the tank, and taking him out for a while, then putting him back in to see if it eases aggression.

Most reactions

Back