Advice Wanted On New Fish!

iankent

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been back to LFS and had another look at the fish - just as confused as before, but I wrote down what I wanted this time! It's a 110L freshwater with plenty of plant life! (There's photos on my website <a href="http://aquarium.stormail.co.uk" target="_blank">http://aquarium.stormail.co.uk</a> or in this post <a href="http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...etely-Confused/" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...etely-Confused/</a>

edit: updated list of fish!
The residents I'd like to have are these:
* 3 dwarf aquatic frogs
* 8 Neon Tetra
* 8 Cardinal Tetra
* 6 Corydoras
* 1 Siamese Fighter

I've got a few questions, and would also like any suggestions for changes or improvements! First, will the different tetras shoal together, or would I be better off getting 16 of one type? And second, is the Siamese Fighter compatible with my other choices - I think it'd make a great centre piece, but there's so much conflicting advice about them around!

I've had a look at the guppies and platies, and some of them are pretty cool, but not sure whether I'd have enough room, or whether they'd be ok with the siamese fighter?

also, what sort of total population should I be looking at? I'm doing a fishless cycle, so can put the lot in at once at the end, but dont want to overcrowd them either! there's plenty of little hiding places and plant life for them though. i've decided to replace some of the gravel in one corner with sand for the frogs too!

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions - cant make any of these decisions lol!

edit: For info, I quite liked the tiger barb, red tail shark and those bright yellow ones (labidochromis something), but after some research none of them really seem all that suitable for my aquarium anyway!

thanks!!

Hi mate, alarm bells ring when you say dwarf frogs. Don't know if this is the norm, but there is nothing dwarf about them. Mine grew and grew and grew some more. They eat most of my neons, and ended up back in the LFS.
I think neons are a shoaling fish, and that looks real nice in a tank for sure.
Something about the siamese fighter is ringing alarm bells, but I don't know what. Maybe they are agressive or very territorial, something is up with these, but I don't know. Someone please help me out!

Emma

Hi mate, alarm bells ring when you say dwarf frogs. Don't know if this is the norm, but there is nothing dwarf about them. Mine grew and grew and grew some more. They eat most of my neons, and ended up back in the LFS.

I've been reading up on them quite a bit - theyre the african dwarf frogs, which most places seem to agree get to about 4cm long, which doesnt sound too bad! the frogs are something i really would like though :)

Something about the siamese fighter is ringing alarm bells, but I don't know what. Maybe they are agressive or very territorial, something is up with these, but I don't know. Someone please help me out!

i was a bit worried about the siamese fighter - looks great, but might be that bit too difficult or incompatible with my other fish! other than the fighter i'm not really sure what would make a great centre piece!

from what I've read the neons and cardinals are both shoaling fish, but I'm wondering if they're able to shoal together, or if I'd get a better effect by getting all the same type?

Is the Saimese Fighter a betta. Can't remeber but if it is a ale betta, these fish aren't compatible with anything. Is this one of the pretty fish that's kept in the little cups at the LFS? Then it's a betta.

Is the Saimese Fighter a betta. Can't remeber but if it is a ale betta, these fish aren't compatible with anything. Is this one of the pretty fish that's kept in the little cups at the LFS? Then it's a betta.

yes, they are bettas, but there are quite a few people who think they'll be alright in a community tank (with no long finned fish/nippers or very small fish), but was just looking for a balanced opinion - they seem to be happy enough in some of the tanks at LFS

Bettas should be compatable with the dawrf frogs.

Depending on the nature of the betta he may be compable in a community tank - however the tetras are fin nippers. So if you do get a bette either keep it on it's own or get a non agressive one.

(If you find one have a back up plan so you can house the betta somewhere else).

IME a fighter is fine with the above choices, but some on here will state that they will be nipped by neons and cardinals. There will be conflict here, so I'd research them alot, and then draw your own conclusion here.

ADF's are great little creatures that won't go for any other fish, but they may well be out-competed for food in a community tank. EMMSY, LFS will often sell african clawed frogs as ADF's, as they sell better like this, but this species will do as you describe. ACF need to be species only IMO. OP, look for claws on the front legs when buying, if they are there leave then @ the shop, if the front feet are webbed, they are what they are labled and safe to buy :good:

Other tan that, your stockilng looks good, other than one thing that draws my attention;

* 1 small catfish (keep forgetting which they are!)

If these are Corrydoras species, you need a group of 6+. They are doable easily with the other fish, as they are bottom dwellers and low waste producers

HTH
Rabbut

IME a fighter is fine with the above choices, but some on here will state that they will be nipped by neons and cardinals. There will be conflict here, so I'd research them alot, and then draw your own conclusion here.
Thats what I'm worried about - I'm going to make sure I have space for another smaller tank if I need to rehouse one, and think I might try - if I choose one that appears to get on well with other fish at LFS hopefully I'll get lucky! I'll be doing more research, but they do look great.

ADF's are great little creatures that won't go for any other fish, but they may well be out-competed for food in a community tank. EMMSY, LFS will often sell african clawed frogs as ADF's, as they sell better like this, but this species will do as you describe. ACF need to be species only IMO. OP, look for claws on the front legs when buying, if they are there leave then @ the shop, if the front feet are webbed, they are what they are labled and safe to buy :good:
I have checked them and I'm pretty sure they are actually ADF's - I dont like the look of the clawed ones, there's just something nastier about them!

If these are Corrydoras species, you need a group of 6+. They are doable easily with the other fish, as they are bottom dwellers and low waste producers
I've just had a quick look at them on wikipedia - they look kinda cool, and with 6 or more of them would make a better addition to the tank than a single bigger catfish. It says they should be alright with most tropical aquarium fish, but what about the siamese fighter? Also, as they're bottom dwellers, are they likely to be a problem to the frogs, or should keeping them all well feed be manageable?

thanks!

Yes corries will be fine with fighters, assuming that the fighter will tolerate them :good: I'd do a blood worm feed about 1/2 an hour after lights out. This will give the frogs a chance to feed while the others are asleep, thus compertition will be minimised.

HTH
Rabbut

Thanks for the advice :) will keep that in mind!

I think I'm pretty much happy with my fish selection to be honest, as long as the fighter will be happy enough with the others, but that sounds as though it'll be entirely trial and error!

now I've just gotta wait patiently while my tank cycles.... :(

I think I'm pretty much happy with my fish selection to be honest, as long as the fighter will be happy enough with the others, but that sounds as though it'll be entirely trial and error!

Hello I read your question and really empathised with you, and reminded me of our day we went out to buy our first fish.
My tank has been active for about 7 weeks. We did lots of research, we brought two fish books, one giving in depth descriptions on every fish, their behaviour, water needs, food needs, how many in one tank, community or not. I felt quite confident and picked my fish for the big day. On adive of the experts we left the tank without fish for a while and added the bactinettes and were really excited about getting our fish. The fish we picked out, cardinal tetra's, cory's, simanese fighter, I also wanted a couple of discus. The day came and we went excitedly to the Aquatic centre. I went over to the discus. (I had read that when baby discus are left without an adult, their could be bullying, even to death) There they were, the most beautiful baby discus, there was about five in the tank, two ofwhich were being bullied, I decided to rescue them. The assistant came and absolutely refused to sell them to us. Saying the tank wasnt mature enough., I was very disapointed becuase we had followed all the rules. I said ok, and moved on the tetra's, again the same response. I went through the fish I had my heart set on, and she insisted none of these fish were hardy enough. In the end she agreed to let us have 6 cardinal tetra's, with a 'be it on your own head' warning. They were in the tank for a couple of weeks, we bravely set out again, and once again, 'you cant have that syndrome'. I seriously wondered if I had done the right thing in spending all this money on something which was supposed to be enjoyable.
We managed to buy 4 guppies, which werent on my list! 3 cory's which I thought would stay at the bottom, but seem to enjoy swimming half way up, they are lovely but are quite manic. We havent attemped to buy the fighter because we were told that the guppies would get on its nerves because they are quick swimmers. I dont know if I will ever get my discus! The fish seem very healthy, the tetra's are beautiful but tend to stay in the plants.
I wish you all the best when you go to get your first fish, I hope it will be enjoyable and all that you hoped it will be. ( In my book, the fighter is supposed to be community and very peaceful, only fighting with other males).
Obviously I will listen to the experts because I do not want to hurt any fish, but I do wish they would all get together and attempt to agree with each other!!

Hello I read your question and really empathised with you, and reminded me of our day we went out to buy our first fish.
My tank has been active for about 7 weeks. We did lots of research, we brought two fish books, one giving in depth descriptions on every fish, their behaviour, water needs, food needs, how many in one tank, community or not. I felt quite confident and picked my fish for the big day. On adive of the experts we left the tank without fish for a while and added the bactinettes and were really excited about getting our fish. The fish we picked out, cardinal tetra's, cory's, simanese fighter, I also wanted a couple of discus. The day came and we went excitedly to the Aquatic centre. I went over to the discus. (I had read that when baby discus are left without an adult, their could be bullying, even to death) There they were, the most beautiful baby discus, there was about five in the tank, two ofwhich were being bullied, I decided to rescue them. The assistant came and absolutely refused to sell them to us. Saying the tank wasnt mature enough., I was very disapointed becuase we had followed all the rules. I said ok, and moved on the tetra's, again the same response. I went through the fish I had my heart set on, and she insisted none of these fish were hardy enough. In the end she agreed to let us have 6 cardinal tetra's, with a 'be it on your own head' warning. They were in the tank for a couple of weeks, we bravely set out again, and once again, 'you cant have that syndrome'. I seriously wondered if I had done the right thing in spending all this money on something which was supposed to be enjoyable.
We managed to buy 4 guppies, which werent on my list! 3 cory's which I thought would stay at the bottom, but seem to enjoy swimming half way up, they are lovely but are quite manic. We havent attemped to buy the fighter because we were told that the guppies would get on its nerves because they are quick swimmers. I dont know if I will ever get my discus! The fish seem very healthy, the tetra's are beautiful but tend to stay in the plants.
I wish you all the best when you go to get your first fish, I hope it will be enjoyable and all that you hoped it will be. ( In my book, the fighter is supposed to be community and very peaceful, only fighting with other males).
Obviously I will listen to the experts because I do not want to hurt any fish, but I do wish they would all get together and attempt to agree with each other!!

Hopefully all will go well when adding my first fish - as I'll be adding them all in one go, I'm getting quite excited to see what my tank will look like with them all in! good news though, algae is starting to grow on the rocks etc., so things seem to be moving along nicely at the moment!

doesnt sound like you had too much luck with your first fish, but at least you've gained experience :) i'm hoping all my fish will get along too!

cycling feels like its gonna take ages, but its only been a few days so far really :S

glug, a bit of advise on Discus. Don't buy fish that are bing bullied, they are usualy smaller than the rest, thus being picked on, as a result of either genetic issues or parasites. Neither are good, as genetic deformaties will mean that they will continue to be bullied in your tank, and parasites are contagious. You want to buy the bullies :shifty: As a rule they are stronger an healthier fish that should grow to the full 9 inches adult diameter :good: You also need more than two, or they will be very shy. 5 is a good number, and IMO the sales assistant was right to refuse you sale of them at your stage. They need a mature tank that has had fish in for 6months+ before the water quality will be good enough for them. Add them too soon, and it will be disease outbreak after disease outbreak, and casualty rate is usualy high :sad: I've made that mistake myself :no: You need at least 50gals for thm (200l) with 18 inches hight on the tank minimum for five :good:

Tetras should be fine, if bactinetts was used, I see no issue there :good: Fishters will usualy rip the guppies tales, as they are seen as other fighters :crazy:

All the best, and sorry for being off topic
Rabbut

As noted in another post, some of the fish should not be the first ones in a new tank. The cycling you are doing is just the first step towards a mature water system. You could think of it like getting a driver's license. The day you get the license is no day to load up the car and go for a drive on twisty mountain roads. Some fish do need mature tank conditions and among them are neons and cardinals. If it were me and using your fish list, I would start with a nice betta splendens and a few of a medium to small variety of corydoras. After a week or so get the rest of the cories of the same type, the ADFs next, then cardinals and finally neons. Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years, the neons are the most sensitive of the lot and the betta is the least sensitive.

Most reactions

Back