Advice Required

Jo Booth

Reaction score
Our electricity provided has sent us a letter to say that our electricity meter is due to be renewed and we need to ring them to arrange a convenient time to do it. The letter says that they will obviously have to switch off our supply but doesn't say how long for.

Soooo I need your advice. When we ring I will be asking how long it will take and I am hoping it will only take around an hour, but obviously with these things it may take longer. How do I keep the fish going whilst the heater, filters and air stones are off and how long do you think the fish can stand the electric being off before I enoucnter problems such as the bacteria dying, not enough oxygen etc?

Many many Thanks in advance

Jo

Well, when they did our's it took about 15mins. I lost the power to mine after an electrical issue yesterday for about an hour, mebe two, and there has been no issues so far (touch wood e.t.c)

With exturnal filters, with the power out for like two or more hours, it is a good idea to un-hook the outlet, and run a bucket of water through the filter, to keep the food and oxygen to the bacteria going. Heating will be fine for between 1 and 12 hours depending on tank size and the room temperature.

Airstones are a trickyer one. Does your tank rely on them to keep the oxygen levels up enough? If so, you will need a power supply to the air pumps to keep the tank ticking over. If the air pumps aren't needed, then obviously they will be fine. Alternative power could be taken from a neibour, via an extention lead or two...

All the best
Rabbut

Hi Rabbut

Thanks for that, I was imagining several hours of cups of tea, head scratching etc whilst they changed the meter so I feel much better that it is likely to take minutes rather than hours !

Airstone was more for effect than for o2 although of course it contributes to the o2 in the tank.

Thanks again for your timely and good advice

Jo

Had a gas meter changed a year or so back, only takes 20 minutes, so an electric one wont be any longer.

When we had ours changed, it took around thirty minutes. It's not the long job it used to be.

Most reactions

Back