Advice On Renewing My Filter System.

pjandnoo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We have a Aqua one 980 tank with the overhead filter system that (touch wood) has been excellent. Only downside of this system we can see is the constant trickling noise! :music: So we are thinking of changing the pump/filter system to one that sits inside the cabinet. Firstly, can anyone advise us of what type of pump we should look at and secondly, what is the best way of cycling it? I assume that we will be using some of the original media? The tank roughly holds up to 200ltrs of water by the way.

Thanks in advance for any answers guys. :thanks:

Paul.

I would look at an Eheim 2217 or a similar Fluval canister filters for starters. I think this is what you mean. You could transfer all the media to this new filter if that is reasonable. Or you could run this filter side by side with the old filter for several months and slowingly take the old filter off line after that. Hope this gets you started.

We have a Aqua one 980 tank with the overhead filter system that (touch wood) has been excellent. Only downside of this system we can see is the constant trickling noise! :music: So we are thinking of changing the pump/filter system to one that sits inside the cabinet. Firstly, can anyone advise us of what type of pump we should look at and secondly, what is the best way of cycling it? I assume that we will be using some of the original media? The tank roughly holds up to 200ltrs of water by the way.

Paul.

Can i ask what you had in your overhead filter system?

Paul.

Can i ask what you had in your overhead filter system?

It is all still running at the moment until we decide what to do. The Aqua one has three baskets that start with ceramic tubes then black sponge and then a tray with carbon and white sponge. We was looking at the Fluval 305 earlier which might be an option.

Firstly, I have the Fluval 305 servicing my 240ltr Roma and have found it excellent in all respects :good:

However, in the past I have had the AquaOne canopy filter system in a 850 and have experienced the trickling/gurgling sound of the water re-entering the tank that you mentioned. I got over this noise by placing a chunk of very coarse filter media over and in the return chamber and tube. This stopped the venturi action (drawing air down with the water) and hey presto almost silent! If you try this then be sure to regularly checking for clogging ;)

Firstly, I have the Fluval 305 servicing my 240ltr Roma and have found it excellent in all respects :good:

However, in the past I have had the AquaOne canopy filter system in a 850 and have experienced the trickling/gurgling sound of the water re-entering the tank that you mentioned. I got over this noise by placing a chunk of very coarse filter media over and in the return chamber and tube. This stopped the venturi action (drawing air down with the water) and hey presto almost silent! If you try this then be sure to regularly checking for clogging ;)

Thanks for the reply. We have previously tried putting some filter wool in the "hole" as mentioned but this caused the water level to rise in the trough and had a bit of an issue with flooding ;o(. Think this may be a cheaper option and worth another try tho.
Will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Paul

Thanks for the reply. We have previously tried putting some filter wool in the "hole" as mentioned but this caused the water level to rise in the trough and had a bit of an issue with flooding ;o(. Think this may be a cheaper option and worth another try tho.
Will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Paul

Poly wool is to thick and clogs quickly......try coarse foam

Most reactions

Back