Advice On Planted Tank

Try one bag of aquaclay and two bags of black sand. Observe and judge from there. If you need more, you need more.

Well over a month now, mabye two. The tank is injected with CO2 as well but I add the liquid carbon just in case. SO far, no CO2 related algae problems. Just brown diatoms due to my lack of water changes (small-ish tank that should have atleast two water changes a week).

Interesting RadaR, I too have noticed that water changes seem to have a good effect on diatoms (certainly more so than some other types of algae.) Is this something that you've seen discussed in the planted section, kind of a "well-known" thing? WD

Interesting RadaR, I too have noticed that water changes seem to have a good effect on diatoms (certainly more so than some other types of algae.) Is this something that you've seen discussed in the planted section, kind of a "well-known" thing? WD

I believe it to be well known but I could be mistaken. Folks are advised to perfrom water changes but maintain good nutrient levels if diatoms are present.
Water changes works well against diatoms in particular because they are one of the first algaes one sees if there is a sufficient ammonia concentration (could be low enough not to show up on test kit) in the water. Hence why most cycling tanks will experience diatoms. The water changes reduces the ammonia greatly. Brown diatoms are also very easy to wipe off, therefore any abrasion will send the spores back into the water column. Again, the water changes reduce these numbers.

Most reactions

Back