Adding Fertilizer, Any Advice?

lorin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an already established Vision 260 with a few fish, Im wanting to put tropica aquacare substrate, (as I hear its the best option for larger tanks), under my current sand substrate. I hear that I am bound to get an ammonia spike, would it be ok to change my substrate and treat my ammonia spike with seachems version of ammo lock to detoxify the ammonia and then continue to treat it with bacteria and seachem prime to cycle it through. Anyone any ideas on how big the ammonia spike will be and what my chances would be on all my current fish surviving? Also would it help to keep all my water from the tank in about 10 or so buckets?! My tanks been going about 3-4 months now.

I currently have:

A few tetras (5x Black phantom tetras), 1x 3 lined tetra 1x blind cave tetra, 2x Bolivian Rams, 1x Synodontis Multipunctatus, 2x Neon dwarf gouramis, 1x Angel fish

I know I also have the option of using root tablets but Im thinking adding a substrate would be more effective.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Lorin

You shouldn't get an ammonia spike when using Tropica substrate. Never heard of that. It's very common to get ammonia spikes with ADA Aqua soil though.
Even if it did, it's nothing that a mature filter and water changes can't handle. I added ADA soil to a mature tank and combined with closely monitoring the tank and water changes there were no negative effects.

Yay! Thanks radar you may have officially made my day!

I just assumed that with every substrate you got an ammonia spike whoops! :D

Many thanks! :D

Most reactions

Back