Adding Crushed Coral

lana

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
do i wash it good before adding to the filter basket?

thanks

Yes, anything that is gravel-like has the potential to have way too much dust going in. I recommend putting on rubber dish gloves to protect your hands and then working it with your hands under a tub spigot or a hose outside, just like you would for gravel. Just make a judgement call on when it seems clear enough and you're tired of doing it.

You're going to start with about a handfull size amount, right? That would be an appropriate start.

~~waterdrop~~

Yes, anything that is gravel-like has the potential to have way too much dust going in. I recommend putting on rubber dish gloves to protect your hands and then working it with your hands under a tub spigot or a hose outside, just like you would for gravel. Just make a judgement call on when it seems clear enough and you're tired of doing it.

You're going to start with about a handfull size amount, right? That would be an appropriate start.

~~waterdrop~~

right just gonna cover my palm with it add to a bag and put in filter basket

what sort of bag should be used for the coral?

thanx, G
I don't think it should matter, any kind of mesh that holds it in. The point of bagging it is just so it won't mix with whatever other media it is in with. Since it gradually dissolves and has an effect on your water, it is prudent to have it be easily removable in case your situation changes and you want to stop having that effect for some reason - just common sense.

By the way, especially if crushed coral is in your filter, it will be a very attractive surface for bacteria and debris and so will need to be taken out and rinsed vigorously on a fairly, well slightly more, frequent basis in order to help keep its surface exposed for dissolving.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back